Downsizing

In the middle of a war on 2 fronts?

http://www.newbernsj.com/news/downsized-89088-military-proposes.html

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 5:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with sisteract. Bringing the troops home means more unemployed. I can't decide if bringing them home is the right thing to do. Will they get treated as poorly as the rest of the unemployed are? They deserve so much more for what they've sacrificed. I want to pull the troops out and feel we should have years ago but I worry they will fall between the cracks. Put some military at the borders if that makes Americans happy but I think we need to create jobs before bringing them home!!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Why don't they start with cutting spending at home? Any one of us mommies could cut the budget down and make it work.

too bad all the politicians would be sitting at home doing there crap via secure teleconference, with out free booze and lunch.

too bad there would be no such thing as a no bid contract.

Downsizing the military is NOT a LOGICAL first step... maybe 15th or so, sure.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• But with the majority of the downsizing of personnel they want coming from the infantry sectors shouldn't they at least have a withdrawal plan for Afganistan and have us completely out of Iraq first?

As General Dwight Eisenhower said. "In preparing for battle, plans are essential, but once the battle is joined, plans are useless".

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I agree Sweet there are alot of places they should cut spending BEFORE they start scaling back on size.

Yup!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Quality scale back that includes redction in wasteful military spending sounds appropriate.
    So long as the military is not forced to Scaling back in a way that could threaten adequate protection of troops currently deployed on missions.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Or , here's an IDEA....bring them ALL the HELL home....including the soldiers in GERMANY, KOREA , Iraq AND CLUSTER*FUCKASTAN!!! Your so worried about our borders? line them up and they can be BIRDER PATROL

I am not trying to bash you sweet, but we can't use Active Duty military to patrol the borders. It is against the law to deploy them within the states. I am just saying..cause lots of people don't know AND it would make perfect sense to put solders on the border. :)

To answer the question...I have been expecting this. Clinton gutted the military. It looked pretty on paper, but we were totally unprepared for a 9/11 event and the war it brought. We had to spend a fortune to get prepared again.

The military is the ONLY the Constitution allows for the funding of. We cut it at our own peril.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think unemployment is a terrible arguement to make against downsizing the military. I don't think anyone would advocate for staying in a war/wars because soldiers need work. Besides, theoretically putting the entire military on PA would be waaaaaaayyy less expensive than the gazillions of dollars the wars have cost. Plus, going on PA doesn't put your life in danger or seperate you from your family, so socially and economically we would probably fair better.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Hell yea, lovin..the FIRST thing that should be cut is CONGRESS HEALTH PLAN! then their TRAVEL & FOOD allowances

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• "We are not in a threat of a war at the moment. We should down size to prepare and get our country in order before any war does cause an immediate threat. If war happens and we are still in the same economic issue then say hello to the stone ages cause that is where we are heading."

Hot-mama, maybe you don't live in the United States, but we are currently at war with two countries, Iraq and Afghanistan.  The Iraqi was has been going on for 7 years.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• They DO need to bring the military home before any more of them are killed. And we need to cut way back on funding wars. ANd all the other programs that we don't need.
    Fund the "People Programs" such as Medicare and Social Security and Health Care.Lets save lives in American instead of letting them die in foreign countries.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010