Have you ever picked someone up who was walking?

Or have you been walking (like when your car broke down or something) and got in the car with someone who stopped?

I've done both, but never either when my kid was with me.

My car had a flat and I didn't have a spare. I was 4 miles from home and my husband didn't get off work for three more hours. Ki was at school. So I just started walking home rather than sit there on the side of the road for three hours. I was talking to my dad to help pass the time on the phone and someone stopped. I read dad the plate number and told him "I'm getting in the car with this guy to get a lift home. If I don't call you in half an hour, call the police and tell them he killed me!". He just laughed and called exactly 30 minutes later.
And I can't just pass people walking, especially in this heat, and not ask if they need a lift somewhere, so I pick people up a lot.
So far no crazies though!

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never with my son in the car but yes, I have accepted rides when I needed them and given rides to people. I am careful though to the point where I have asked a man to put his bags in the very back and turn his pockets inside out for me. I also keep a gun under my seat for other reasons. If I NEEDED a ride then I would make sure to give some one the license plate #.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Scary! We always help people move thier cars from traffic if thei break down or change their tires...and by we I man my husband lol. I sit in the car with the kids. I wouldnt unless I knew them.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• wow I did a super bad spelling job lol
    if they break down
    and by we I mean my husband
    ABusyBee

• only if i knew them other then that i will never pick up a stranger
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I picked some one up once it was a young mom and her baby walkin out in below 0 weather, i felt bad for her, even gave her a 20! But i would never get in to a car with some one i dont know or pick up strange guys! thats crossing the line, Ill prob pick up a old lady or a mom and her baby but thats it!!!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yeah, of course... But only if I see them walking... If they are just standing trying to get a lift I will keep driving... If they really want to get somewhere they will show some initiative and walk if no one has picked them up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I often do this to old people I see walking in this heat.

Answer by older at 5:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• When we were in Northwest MS, we lived next to the college, so kids were walking all over all the time. After awhile we got to know which ones were walking home and would frequently give them rides. That was pretty much it though.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Before cars had automatic door locks when in gear I was stopped at a red light and a woman just walked over, put her hand inthe window, unlocked the car door and got in. I told her to get out, but she said "no you are going to take me where I want to go". It was about a mile away and I took her, but I made sure from that day on to keep the passenger side window up more. It scared the heck out of me!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• only if I know who I'm picking up ...
    SouthernLady7

Answer by SouthernLady7 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010