whiny, clingy 11.5 month old

Just wondering if anyone else's baby is going through the clingy stage? I'm finding it really frustrating and irritating. It has been going on since about 10 months. I know that babies this age experience separation anxiety, and I know teething plays a factor (she only has one tooth so far but I'm sure more must be cutting through), but sometimes it feels like my once sweet angel who played so nicely, is now tugging on me all day long, whining, wanting to nurse, and I find myself feeling a tad guilty for wanting more time alone than usual!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are entitled to your own time! Are you married, do you have a friend/family member that could watch her for a couple of hours once a week or so? My daughter was very clingy and it was tough, but I made sure that I had time to myself as well. She was in bed by 7 pm at that age, so that was nice, I would soak in a long hot bath, watch TV with hub etc...Don't ever feel guilty about wanting time for yourself, you didn't ceseas to be a Person when you became a mom.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Mine just turned 1 and he's very clingy. He wouldn't even go to daddy while he was here and refused to go to family when they were visiting. I cant leave the room without him freaking. I sat him down for 5 seconds and he went nuts. Sadly I have to deal with it for another 2 weeks (I'm moving then, closer to family) and daddy's gone. Then again my sons always been a mamas boy from day one. Don't know if it's because I breastfeed or because I was the only one that took care of him he's first few months of life (daddy refused to even touch him till he was 4 months old) I feel guilty too when I place him down and leave the room and he screams but I do it for the both of us. I need a break from him sometimes and he needs to learn not to need mommy from the time of wake up till the time he goes to bed. He refuses to leave my lap most days.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Every mom goes through this not only dealing with our children's stages but the guilt...constant guilt. Just know that you are a great mom I'm sure and your baby's winy, clingy-ness is just another phase and this to will pass. Hubby and I just look at each other when dealing with the same issues or similar things and just grin and bear it..we know it's a stage she needs to go through to become the person she is going to be in life.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Very normal for that age, although yes, it sure can be difficult. It'll pass. I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated! Hang in there!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• mine went through that at like 7-8 months. although i did cuddle with them, i nipped it in the bud quick. if they were fed, changed, not sick or hurt, well rested, and still crying i'd let 'em cry if i had to get something done. as for me time, ds has been going to bed at 8 since about 5 or 6 months, dd has been going to bed at 8 since 4wks. when dh was deployed, and still now, i looked forward to it every day
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• M y son is clingy right now for the first time. Its because he has a cold and is getting 2 molars, and 2 cuspid (canine) teeth at the same time. He is a whiny mess. It is difficult. I just look at it as its a stage. In most it will pass. Hes hurting and needs me. Alot of kids experience this sat that age anywqays. They are unsure about all the changing things in thier little worlds, they are more mobile and able to do things, and that can be scary. So they sling to the one thing they know is always safe. Mom. Just be there for her, it will pass. And be sure to get away here and there.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Babies are young for such a small amount of your life. You will have the rest of your life to be alone. It's not separation anxiety at this age, too young. You have that to look forward to. You might enjoy attending La Leche League meetings and meeting some other breastfeeding moms.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• All babies are clingy. They are designed that way by mother nature. Wear your baby in a sling or wrap. Bored babies make for frustrated mothers. Worn babies aren't ever bored! When you have a chance, hand her off to her father or even a friend who is over when she is full, dry, and ready to play and explore. Then go have a nice shower. Sometimes all you need is 10 mintues to center.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010