Children and Birthcontrol

My son is going to be 11 in a couple of weeks and I'm beginning to wonder what is a good age to mention birth control. I hope that he'll wait untill hes old enough to make good choices as far as sex goes but at the same time I worry about peer pressure and such. Its not just babies that I worry about though. I've read that Std's are rampant amoung teens and some will actually kill. So I guess my question is; at what age do you start talking to your children about birthcontrol? Would you offer it to them? Expect them to provide there own? Expect them to abstain? How have the rest of you moms handeled this?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 5:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It seems at this juncture 11 is a good age. I keep hearing about (and actually knew one) kids getting pregnant at 9 years old. Talk BC but also talk about waiting:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Personally I think that as soon as you have the "sex talk" with your children that Birth control, condoms especially, needs to be part of that conversation. As far my 16 year old son goes, I ram the condom issue into his head at every chance I get lol. He's a virgin still and probably will be for a while. All i've said about that, is that although I don't expect or care if he waits till marriage, but I told him it's a good idea to wait untill at least after high school. I also talked with him about the benefits of waiting till marriage. I've told him that unless he wanted a child or a disease that he should wear a condom EVERY SINGLE time, no matter if the girl is on Birth Control or not. That he is just as responsible. We've told him that if he's in a relationship and it's getting to that point, then he should come to his dad and I first, so he can be taught the proper way a condom is used etc...
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I've only handled this with my now 17 year old and not with my 11 year old yet. She was about that age when we had the "talk". I think whatever age you think he is ready for it you should approach it. I did put my DD on Birth Control pills when she was about 15 1/2 and had a real boyfriend. I think I would tell him that he can come to you and ask for help when he is ready. Now if he has a girlfriend then maybe I would give him some condoms.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I was already having sex that young, and no, I wasn't molested... My kids are 3 & 4 and we have already gone over some of this... I see no point in waiting til there is a "what if" thought in my mind. They are simply growing up with this knowledge and an understanding that these are normal topics within a family... When my children reach a point where they are "noticing" the other sex or interested in dating then we will without doubt reinforce our teachings about BC, and if they want us to get it we will happily do so. We do not teach or expect abstinence... I don't believe it's healthy or natural to suppress sexuality. However, we are very strict on teaching that they are to make sure she/he is over 16 so that they can't be labeled as sex offenders just for having sex with their partner...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my daughter is 7 and she ask all the time and i tell her the truth in an age appropriate manner. as far as bc goes both of my girls will be on the pill when they get their period to help with cramps, a regular period and just in case they have sex w/o telling me. i would rather provide the bc then to have them go behind my back. however i would pray that they abstain.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 5:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It depends on the child some children are ready for that conversation then others but I think that BC goes along with the sex talk and should be reinforced when when they start to date just in case.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• start now; continue on a regular basis

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010