Have you heard of Nurse maids elbow?

About a month ago I had to rush my little man to the ER. I was holding his hand and he was walking with me and he decided to act like a monkey and try to wrap his legs around my leg. Well I heard a pop, btw he is always popping in his arms legs and back, and then he started crying a really painful cry and was holding on to his wrist. Well I thought I broke my babys arm and that bout killed me. I would NEVER hurt my baby. So when I get him to the ER they took xrays and then the doctor came in and said it was nurse maids elbow. He said it just popped out of socket. I was just wondering if any of you Moms out there have had this problem also. I no longer just hold on to one arm. I have learned my lesson.

Mrs.Colby

Asked by Mrs.Colby at 5:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's honestly quite common, their ligaments and tendons are still very soft at that age. A few of my friends have had that happen to their kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I forgot to say that my son is now 17 months old. This happened to him when he was 14 months old. I havent had any more problems with it since but I am really careful more then before on how I pick him up
    Mrs.Colby

Comment by Mrs.Colby (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• YES..OMG...We did this whole ER thing a couple weeks ago and i felt like i was a bad mom lol. She had been crying all day long and I KNOW she was teething.So i just put her down for a nap..she slept and then woke up freaking out.She was just laying all sad.then I went to hand her a sippy cup and she only used one arm..then i handed her something else and she didnt move the arm.I lifted her arm and she screamed..it was awful.Then i remember her tripping over her dads boots that morning and rushed her to the ER..My hair fell out that day lol...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• it's quite common. Beware though - now that it's happened, it'll be much easier for it to happen again.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I had this happen to my now 16 yearold. It only happened 3 times, I think and never happened again. He'll be OK. You didn't do anything wrong. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My four year old has done this four times in the last month on his own. If it continues past age five or six he may need to have the tendon surgically fitted. You don't even need to pull on it. They can pop it themselves if they are swinging something with enough weight to it like mine did. It happens. They finally had to show me how to pop it back in myself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I had to watch when I took him to the ER and they told me if it happens again not to bother bringin him to the ER or his ped doc for that matter. I told his ped doc and he said basically the same thing to just do it myself. I really hope it dont happen again :( I bout broke my heart thinkin I hurt my baby. He will be 17 months tomorrow (7-19-10) he is 33 1/2 inches and 25 pounds,well at his 14 month check up anyways lol. And when I googled Nurse maids elbow it said it was more common in girls then in boys. Thank you for all the comments ladies :)
    Mrs.Colby

Comment by Mrs.Colby (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010