When to use a booster seat...................

My husband left it up to me to research and buy our son his next seat. Both he and I are tired of the whole thing honestly. All the cheap seats that we can afford he seems to big for. My son is 2 and weighs 35 pounds. When can I just buy him a booster and be done with the whole thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• 4 years old is the recommended age.

the problem with boosters and younger children is maturity level of being able to and understanding that even though they aren't strapped in like in a car seat, they have to stay put and sit correctly.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The absolute minimum is 4 years AND 40 lbs for a high back booster seat. I wouldn't do a no back booster seat until they are at least 6 years old.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Check the size limits on the boxes and check the laws in your area.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my cousin has her 2 and 3 yr old in a booster the 3 yr old gets it the 2 yr old not yet
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 6:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My oldest son went into a booster at 3, back then that was the law. Now the recommendation is 4 and 40lbs for even a highback booster. The longer they stay in a harness the safer they are.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• In the state of Ohio...
    * Children* less than 4 years old or 40 pounds must use a child safety seat.
    * NEW: Children* less than 8 years old, unless they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall must use a booster seat.
    * Children* ages 8-15 must use a child safety seat or safety belt.

When my son outgrew the snap out one that fit the stroller, we had bought a really nice seat that would accommodate him until he weighed 80 lbs. It was tethered to the car. I have recently purchased a new high back booster that fits up to 100 lbs and uses the seatbelts in the car. He is 5 now and I wanted him to have something more grown up and easier to get in and out of because he will start school in the fall and I have to drive him.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• 4 and 40 is recommended as a MINIMUM. IMO, I'd suggest a 5 point harness until 6 or 7.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Why not buy a seat like the Graco Nautilus? He can stay harnessed until he reaches 65 pounds. When he outgows the harness he can use it as a high back booster. It would be the last seat you'd need to buy. At two years old, he is not even close to being ready for a booster seat.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You can find out more here.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010