Warm up and Cool down......

.....and stretch. What happens if you don't do them OR don't do it long enough???

Specifically when running??

pjacademy

Asked by pjacademy at 6:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Funny. I've been looking into this all day(just started running myself). Basically, there are two schools of thought. Stretching prior to running does nothing. That the best way to warm up is to do a slow version of the exercise you'll be doing...if you normally run a 10 minute mile spend the first ten minutes or so running a 12-14 minute mile, then up to your normal speed. The second says stretching is important an prevents injury. There are all kinds of research to back both views, so it comes down to googling it, reading all the info, and deciding for yourself which makes more sense.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm pretty sure your muscles can cramp and tear...I could be wrong....anyone else out there?
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You can get cramps or you can tear a ligament.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You will feel the effects through some sort of strain.

Answer by older at 6:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• take for example an elastic...put it in the freezer overnight, take it out and start stretching it really fast....you might be able to get away with it a few days, but its eventually going to snap, same as your muscle if you don't warm up before stretching or exercising....

stretching after an exercise reduces delayed onset muscle soreness, also known as DOMS...and yes, prevents cramping in most cases

cooling down is necessary to let your heart come back to a normal pace before just suddenly stopping....for example in an aerobics class, there is a cool down period before going to the floor for abdominal exercises...this prevents light-headedness....if you were to lie down immediately after exercise without your heart rate and blood pressure being gradually reduced you could experience faintness....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• oh and stretching prior to exercise in most cases reduces performance
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I do twenty minutes before and after make it part of the workout. Not doing it can give you pains and make it harder to perform the next day.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Hmmm I usually walk a bit before running then run 30 minutes (2 Miles). Then walk a short distance for cool down no stretching.

Nothing ever hurts. funny though I'd like it to so I feel like I am doing something :)
    pjacademy

Comment by pjacademy (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• cramps and soreness will def. be felt if you dont do a warm up and cool down
    moonstarmom

Answer by moonstarmom at 7:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010