How do you get your child to stop biting?

My son is 13 months old and he keeps biting. He is getting his molars right now so I don't know if it's because he is teething or if it's something else. I try to give him other things to bite (teething toys, etc...) but he seems to prefer to bite me.

HaydenHsMom

Asked by HaydenHsMom at 3:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to stop it now before he just becomes a "biter". I used to work in a daycare before staying home with my kids, and we had some bad "biters" there. That being said, my 18mo old has started biting me! Make sure your son knows you are hurt, even exaggerate if you have to to get the point accross. Put him down and walk away (not too far) and tell him he hurt you. Most likely, he will start to cry and then want you to comfort him. It might take a few times, but it should stop soon. Have you tried orajel for teething? frozen waffles or carrots? my daughter loves those things. Another possiblity might be that he doesn't have the words to communicate what he wants. Try talking to him about whatever he is doing and help him to learn new words! :-)
    3Elizabeth

Answer by 3Elizabeth at 4:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Bite him back!
    ilovexzavier

Answer by ilovexzavier at 4:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• my oldest son was a biter untill a little girl bit him right back, he never bit again.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• DO NOT BITE HIM BACK! Read a book on the problem. My son would bite us when he tried to kiss us! I felt bad because he was being sweet but I knew it had to stop! I stood up and abruptly put him down saying, NO BITE! I tried to do the whole "that hurts" and stuff but they just don't understand that yet. It worked to teach him what "no biting" meant. Now, I tell him not to bite BEFORE he leans in to my shoulder or whatever. I praise him lavishly for kissing with out biting. Parents often think they have to make children feel bad to get them to do what they should. But the reverse is true. Children do better when they feel better. Sometimes just letting them know that we understand that they aren't getting their point across with a hug is enough. Support them by helping them tell us what they need or want. A hug is not rewarding the biting but understanding the feelings he might be having. Good luck.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 7:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008