Why does almost every religion believe they are right?

I know that there are some out there that say that your path to god doesnt really matter it is the outcome and how you live your life. But why cant religions be more tolerant of others?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 6:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because is theirs and they think it is right. I all religious people would just apply their faith to themselves and not judge others because of it, life would be a happier place.

Answer by older at 6:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Why would they pick a religion they didn't think was right? You shouldn't get upset by others' opinions.

ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 6:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It's not remotely close to "almost every religion" it's mainly one really loud one. The rest don't expect other people to worship their god(s), they expect everyone to worship their own.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Tolerance is about accepting the differences in others. I can tolerate other beliefs and respect another's right to their beliefs but that doesn't necessarily mean that I think that it is right. If I didn't feel so firmly about my own belief then why bother at all?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Since we don't know with 100% certainty which is right, we just have to choose whatever fits us best.  Those who understand that concept are tolerant.  The rest are not.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not all religion do believe this way. There is one group of religions that do. However most people from the other religions are very tolerant and so is their religion. So this is an inaccurate question. No offense meant. However to the group I was speaking it is a superiority complex.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't be believing in my religion if I didn't think it was right. That doesn't mean that I'm intolerant of others or that I don't respect them or their beliefs. Not everyone has to agree with me and lacking any unquestionable evidence either way, I respect that others believe differently.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We are tribal creatures. It is our nature to have a "them against us" attitude. Hating other groups is what keeps the tribe together. To be a part of the RIGHT tribal or religious group is also vital. You cannot have friends without also having a common enemy to fight. The church has a long history of CREATING common enemies as a goal for their followers. Look at Islam. They have made the U.S. an enemy in an attempt to pull their fragmented people into a cohesive group. They haven't done this because we have attacked them, or done something to harm them. They did it because it is human nature to need an enemy. Hitler chose the Jews. Constantine chose the Muslims. The Spaniards and the Puritans chose witches. And so on. If you don't have an enemy, you have to make one up. I don't have to have done harm to anyone to be hated. I just have to be what I am... an atheist witch.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• all religion is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry. it's mere brainwashing
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think it comes down to if your belief system doesn't teach it's the right one it wouldn't have any followers. I mean, think about it, if you went to church and heard the speaker say - While we understand that we aren't the right path, I'm glad you all settled for less than perfect and came here anyways - would you go a second time? Of course not. If you don't believe you're on the right path or even driving down the right street you look for alternatives. So when it comes to religion it only makes sense that these groups would believe they are right and would teach that.

However, this is one of the many reasons I'm not a fan or organized religion, because I don't believe there is just ONE path which is right for everyone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010