Do you ever notice that your hair (underarms & legs) sometimes grows faster/slower than other times? Why is that?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hair growth is directly related to hormones. Testosterone causes hair loss/slow growth, and Estrogen causes hair to grow faster and be healthy. That's why, when you're pregnant, your hair is thick and lustrous, and I guess why after you give birth, you lose a lot of hair for a short time. And in your monthly cycle, your hormones fluctuate and you get different rates of growth.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Not sure lol mine always grows fast! I have to shave every day and shaving minimally didn't slow down the growth lol
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 6:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Its based on diet and how much you move around, hair is dead cells and the more you excercise the faster your cells reproduce creating more dead cells
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 6:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I bodybuild so I'm on a high protein diet and so I find my hair grows a lot faster now (because of the protein).
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• hm thats funny, Ive been noticing that the last couple times Ive shaved my legs its been growing back waaaaay slower then they normally do. I have no idea why though.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• So, Laura, you're saying don't excersise? Thanks so much, I love it!
    I don't have to move and I don't have to worry about shaving!

I've noticed the same thing too, sometimes I can go three or four days without shaving and sometimes after two days, it looks like I've gone a week!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• this is an awesome question... have no idea why that happens but just noticed the other day i had to shave AGAIN
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't know but I wish the hair on my head grew that fast.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010