How do I get rid of eczema?

My son is 18 months old and has had eczema since he was born. It went away completely for a few months, and now it's back. He has it on the back of his legs, the sides of his stomach, his ankles and a little spot on his arm. His doctor told us to use Cetaphil and Eucerin, but that has just made it worse. He has a doctors appointment scheduled in two weeks (that was the earliest appointment they had) so I was wondering if anyone had any over-the-counter items you use to help ease eczema on your children?

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Aveno eczema baby wash (drawing a blank on the exact name)
    and hydrocortizone cream twice a day
    free & clear laundry detergent
    NO fabric softener (I use the dryer balls now)

We also moved to a more humid climate which helped too, so maybe run a humidifier, but I'm not positive on that one.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Hmm I was just going to say use the same thing that the doctor told you to use. But since you said it made it worse I don't know what else. My daughter has it on her back and my doctor also told me to stop using the Johnson & Johnson soap to use Dove soap instead and that's what I have been using, that along with Eucerin 3 times a day and it seems to be getting better, maybe just change his soap?
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 6:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• so sorry your little guy is going through this, my 2 yo is going through the same thing. I know that the eucerin didnt do it for him, but that's what i've been using, Eucerin Calming cream. It's worked great for him. His ped. suggested something else called cera ve, i havent used it on him yet. She said to try it if the eucerin wasnt working. hope he gets better
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I use Aveeno Baby. Make sure it says "soothes and Relieves Dry Skin Even Dry Skin from Eczema." It works overnight!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 6:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• its lotion...forgot that part lol
    ABusyBee

• Have you heard of Halo Technical Comfort clothing? You can get more info at www.halocomforts.com, but I'm copying the bullet points from the website below:
    # Made with CoolMax® fabric, wicks moisture to keep skin dry. Great for sensitive skin conditions.
    # The National Eczema Association (NEA) has awarded the Seal of Acceptance to HALO Technical Comfort System. The NEA Seal of Acceptance is awarded to products intended for children and adults with eczema or sensitive skin.
    # Soft, silky feel is friction free and helps reduce irritation and itching
    # Fast drying. Helps regulate body temperature for greater comfort
    # Helps prevent skin rashes by wicking moisture from delicate skin
    # Smooth seams prevent irritation at pressure points
    # SPF 30
    # Parents of children with sensitive skin conditions report marked improvements with regular wear
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 11:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Eczema is aunto-immune so there really is no getting rid of it. You can try adjusting his diet to see if that helps. Some parents have had success with cutting out dairy and wheat products. My dd has had eczema since she was 2 months old. I put baking soda in her bath water and I lather her up with coconut oil and that helps more than anything. We use a lotion with shea butter in it and it seems to help. That thick oily stuff that your dr is suggesting only made my dd worse. Try coconut oil or olive oil, lather him up about 15-30 minutes before his bath. GL
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2010