How do you deal with being a single mom?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 6:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• i dont know any different..i have a lot of support from my parents tho, without them id be screwed!! they watch my daughter for me so i am able to work, they let me move back home, so i live in their basement, i still pay rent, but not nearly as much as it would be if i was on my own, but its nice, because i have the whole basement, (3bedrooms, full bathroom, den, full kitchen, laundry, and living room) so we have our own space, but it works out good, because i start work at 5am...so i wouldnt be able to do that if i was on my own..i enjoy being a single mom tho, i dont have to answer to anyone but me, i get to make all the rules. but at the same time, i hope i can find someone, someday!! i would love to be able to share my life with someone...some day my prince will come :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Just go day by day. I've been a single mom since my dh left when my son was 18 months old . He's 19 years old now. PM if you have any specific questions. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Pretty much day by day... it can take a min. at the beg. to work out some routines but its really not that bad. Actually one of my closest friends just got divorced and she says its been easier in some ways b/c there is less stress and tension on a daily basis.
    You don't have to answer to anyone day bay day, you make all the rules and decisions. Which is both awesome and totally sucks.
    If you are lucky, and work at it, you can have a coparenting situation where the big stuff gets backed up on but moment to moment its yours...
    it is both a blessing and sometimes a pain.
    Kjrn79.. you took many of the words out of my mouth.. LOL
    OP I've been a single mom since pratically the beg. but officially since my ds was 1 b/f my dd was born.. if you have specifics... PM / write.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Im with the others, its just been day by day. I have been a single parent for 7 yrs. My dd will be 18 next month and my son 16 this month. My kids where 11 and 9 when I got divorced. I lost our house in the process and we had to move to a one bedrm apt for two years. Looking back, I dont know how we did it, but we did it. We stuck together and my kids and I got very close. it has also made me so much more careful about who I date and who comes into my life now. My kids have never met anyone Ive dated. Just havent found the right guy yet and didnt want to have a revolving front door with men popping in and out of my kids life. Its good though. Im a strong woman, stronger then I ever thought possible. Good luck to you!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 6:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010