Are/were all gods actually just real people?

Socrates said he believed in gods because they were his ancestors- meaning they were once just plain ole' humans who did something extraordinary and BECAME gods because of that. Take Imhotep for instance... he was a real man- a genius who constructed the Step Pyramid in Egypt, he was the author of an encyclopedia of architecture that was used as a reference tool by Egyptian builders for thousands of years and was a wise and trusted advisor to the Pharaoh. He became a god after death because of his accomplishments. Couldn't this be said of all gods?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't personally believe this. However I do beleive any thing is possible so it is a posibility that if ever were proven I would be open to. I like my dh explanation the gods are stranded aliens if they do exist. I don't believe it but I would find it ironic on many levels.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't believe ANY Gods were ever real people. Demi-Gods on the other hand were half and half... But, no, I believe the Gods are higher beings... They were never and will never be Just People.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• IhartU She is just preaching of how ignorant she feels they were for not believing in the "one" true God that she does. It's just her trying to say her faith is the only true faith. Just saying!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• But the one example I gave REALLY happened. Imhotep was a real, documented man in Egypt under Pharaoh Djoser, and after his death was worshipped as a God along side the other Egyptians Gods in their pantheon. So if he was a real man, who is to say the others before him weren't as well? To me, the idea of a god had to have come from someplace and it makes sense that men who accomplished great things and had abilities that others didn't posses, would be looked at as something 'supernatural', something to be feared and something to worship.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• but had they known the 1st commandment meant so much, we wouldn't need Jesus to save us sinners , this is what wrong power does to populations.

This is only one groups point of view. No offense but it is a Christian concept one that not every one believes.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• coffeeyum... I have no idea what you just said. First off the God of the Bible is NOT the most ancient God documented- he came well after the gods of other ancient cultures and there were other 'one true gods' before he ever popped into some-one's imagination. Also, there is no archaeological evidence that the 'Exodus' ever happened. In fact, recent evidence points to the fact that Egyptian citizens lived in villages around the Pyramids and worked to build them because it was their job- they weren't slaves.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• hot-mama86... lol. Thanks I was totally confused- my brain almost exploded.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i think you are on to something...very possible
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I personally do not believe this. I believe that God was as he has always been, an immortal being in the heavens above us. JMO
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 10:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Don't see where obtaining information on pyramids building techniques is such a good endeavor. back then it was really just sacriledge (spelling??) sacralidge to have to only bow to gods, not to the only true one god Jehovah. The real purpose of having a king was to get out of bondage from pharaoh not make matters more complicated and more slaves. The truth of the Saviour and God the father to release the bondage of slavery was based upon the mere misuse of power . Now we know better and the god thing about who they wondered, who if people were they or were they not people. Of course it's simple when the 10 commandments were given to Moses and those he led were still so simple from all the bad leadership of Pharaoh that they were still blind, but had they known the 1st commandment meant so much, we wouldn't need Jesus to save us sinners , this is what wrong power does to populations.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010