I have what I think are fruit flies. How do i get rid of them?

I can not stand them. They hang out by the garbage (even if I just changed and cleaned it), in the bathroom and by the kitchen sink. Anyone know why they come and how I can get rid of them. I had a couple of pears sitting out to ripen, it wasn't because of that was it, they never rotted?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Wal-Mart sells this little appleshaped container that you put this liquid in and they in and die!
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 7:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Nail a ziploc bag of water with 2 pennies outside both of your doors.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What does a ziploc bag with water and 2 pennies do?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 6:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We have them in the bathroom... They go after the water since it's so dry out... I have no idea how to get rid of them... Just wanted to say Good Luck! We get them every summer & don't know how to get rid of them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• ok, the gunk where they lay your eggs is in your drains. You have to clean the pipes out. Take a small glass, pour some apple cider vinegar in it, and put a drop of dish detergent in it. Place this next to your sink, and change it out as you see the bodies start to pile up.

then, pour bleach down your drains once or twice a day, until the problem persists. a fruit flies life cycle is about twenty days, so you will know in about three weeks how you are doing.

You can try to pour some baking soda into the drain, and then pour some apple cider vinegar down after to make a foam to help break up the debris, but you will still need to put bleach after you rinse that thoroughly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i don't know why I said persists, I meant subsides.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• get a plastic soda pop bottle, fill it up with a lil apple cider vinegar & let it sit out over night, or as long as you want to. They are attracted to the vinegar, but it kills them & they also have a very hard time flying out of the coke bottle once in there.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The pennies in a bag thing, I think the bugs think it is spiders so they stay away. That's the theory anyway.
    Fruit flies can be from vegetable or fruit matter sitting around, from indoor plants rotting, I had infested potting soil last year. If you notice them around your drains, they could be drain flies- google drain flies to see what they look like. Cleaning the gook off the pipes in the drain is needed to get rid of these since they live on that. I see fruit flies flying around the produce in the grocery store, they must lay eggs on it and then we bring it home and the eggs hatch, so for fruit flies, any produce we bring home can do it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I heard it has something to do with light refraction. I tried to post the link to the web-site, but somehow posted that tiger instead. lol. sorry!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I have them too you just have to get rid of everything that is going bad.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010