Anyone ever used a chemical hair straightener?

I was thinking of putting one in my hair, its really wavy its naturally like a loose perm. I always straighten it with a flat iron and was thinking maybe a chemical straightener would help it along, If you have used one what was your results?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• well i'm black and i have been getting my hair relaxed for a long time. if the person doesn't know what they're doing it can give you a bad chemical burn on your scalp and it's pretty hard on your hair. i would say if your hair is only wavy then just keep blowing it straight or use the flat iron bc a relaxer is pretty harsh like i said.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I totally agree with you
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• a few things you should know.. once you go straight you can't go back.. (until that hair grows out) if you want to "curl" your hair for an occation. i can tell you now it's not going to take. two.. I don't know if your hair can take a chemical straightening.. unless it's course hair. your not going to want to do this to your hair. why? well, to put it simply, the same things in nair and other hair removal products.. yeah.. that's what chemical hair straighteners are.. they are just a little less alkaline. If your hair is not thick enough, is over proccessed, etc. your hair could fall out.

you could do a soft perm.. it will loosen the waves in your hair for a straighter look. You may still have to slightly straighten a few strands in certain weather conditions.. but it leaves you open to curl it (unless your hair is over processed). if you desire too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• DO NOT do this at home.. if you don't know about the product you are using you can cause serious chemical burns to the skin. Many of these products require a barrier product before application.. Again DO NOT do this at home with any chemical products..

seek a salon..

there is no reason to risk have unnecessary burns or loose your hair.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I used to get them and they are very harsh on your hair. Haven't had one in four years.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010