Can you agree with these quotes? Why or why not?

bullet "The most outrageous lies that can be invented will find believers if a person only tells them with all his might." Mark Twain.

bullet "...the Christian community needs to become more vigilant in not just halting these rumors, but even running truthful accounts back in the direction from where they emerge." Focus on the Family, 1999-AUG-4 1

bullet It doesn't matter whether inaccurate information is intentionally or accidentally put in our paths, we have the obligation to know that something is accurate before we repeat it. And it doesn't matter whether the slander is directed at friends or enemies." John Tartaro.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I think Twain is saying that people will only believe what you say if you make your lie a really big one. Mormonism and Scientology are both good examples. Focus on the Family are obviously afraid of facts and truth invading their community of myths and fairy stories. After all faith is supposed to be blind and unquestioning, and the truth tends to destroy it. Tartaro is encouraging everyone to be more skeptical, to dig deeper. Once you have realized how patently ridiculous religion IS, your mind is opened. All in all, a good collection of observations.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Is Twain saying you can make anyone believe anything if you try hard enough?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Can't say I agree completely with the first one. I believe that there would have to be other factors than just "might".

The second. I can't make a stand on one way or the other. It seems to be in reference to something that is not given. What is the complete context of this one (regarding rumors)?

I think that this is true. But it does seem that we are talking about more than slander here, correct?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The first one I can agree with. I don't think, however, it applies to EVERYone....but it does or could apply to some. The second I feel like it is too much out of context for me to form an opinion on, and the third I agree with.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I get that from Twain too IhartU. I can agree with the last one because it doesn't require much thought. LOL The other two IDK about. I'm kind of sleepy. Been a long day.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Should say "I think that this third one is true."
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• That's a hard one
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What it is saying is that even the most outrageous story can get people who believe it, not every one but people the same. If it is only told by the person like they have all the belief in the world in it. Speaking about religion.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The rumors refer how the stories get twisted to fit ones needs. In order to correct that you must not only say it is not true but give the true accounts. Remember these are all religious quotes.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Mark Twain is 100% correct!!! If even the most absurd and outrageous things have a willing audience then they can take on the appearance of truth! I am uncertain what the 2nd statement is in reference to so I can't be sure how to respond. And I also agree with the 3rd statement. There is no place for gossip intentional or not! Don't repeat what you don't know to be fact, including things about your enemy. It is pointless and reduces your credibility with others!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010