Has anyone else ordered "your baby can read"?

I have seen the "your baby can read" commerical and this morning I finally ordered it. I saw that it could be returned within 30 days if I didn't like it. While I was ordering the person taking my order offered me 4 other products then told me I won a free cruise (yeah right). I am wondering now if I've ordered a good product. My son catches on fast (20 months old) and has learned words and phrases from cartoons and Elmo. I've been showing him a sign language DVD but it doesn't catch his attention like the puppets. Is this "your baby can read" program going to work?

babymoma1908

Asked by babymoma1908 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have it for my son. I got it since he was 6 months old and he has been watching it quite often since. He is 16 months now. He can't actually read, but when shown the words that are body parts he knows where they are and things like that. He also has a very large vocabulary for his age. I really believe it has been helping him along quite a bit. I'm going to continue to let him watch it and we'll see what happens. ;)
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• As a teacher, I'd like to give this piece of advice. Please remember that reading is more than just reading words. It's also being able to understand what you've read. From what I've seen of the commercials, it seems as if the emphasis is just on babies being able to say words.
    kodamom

Answer by kodamom at 7:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I see it all the time and wonder if it really works. Please keep us informed babymama..let us know how it worked for you and your baby.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I wish I knew. I see it all the time and I'm like, hmmm.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I don't know, but I've been thinking of ordering it too. Hmm...
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Its must be boring to my kids because they won't sit down and watch it
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I would not recommend it. If you want you child to "get ahead" then read to them and play with them and limit "screen time". One of the best predictors in future reading success is number of vocabulary words a child knows. Talking to them, reading to them, and playing with them is the best way to build their vocabulary and knowledge of the world so that they can succeed later. Programs like My Baby Can Read attempt to build a house without a foundation. It make look impressive at first, but it won't last.
    Spend your money on some blocks, books, a sandbox, and trips to the zoo instead.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think it's a scam and waste of money. I'd suggest just reading to your child and teach them phonics when they are ready. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes it totally works! My 4 year old is reading Catcher in the Rye now! Just kidding....I have no idea :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010