What would happen if I put a 100% linen dress that says "dry clean only" in the washer with the rest of the clothes?

We don't separate our clothes when we wash, we just fill up a washer and move on to the next.
It's a white dress someone gave Kyra. The tag says 100% Linen, and on the other side "dry clean only". I have no intention of dry cleaning a dress and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would still be fine to toss it in with the rest of our clothing in the washer.
Thanks. :-)

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I would separate my laundry by colors and fabric . I wash linen all the time but I would use delicate and hang dry, make sure to use a little starch when you iron. It probably says dry clean because it has been treated to withstand wrinkles and washing will soften it, but if you are careful it should be ok. If you are going to dump it in with everything else anyways please don't throw it in with towels.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It probably would shrink... your taking a big chance......buttt I have had clothes that said dry clean only and I washed them and they were fine.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Wash it on gentle in cold water & don't dry it! Most skrinkage is caused by the dryer. That being said, I washed my hubby's linen shirt & it shrank ALOT!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It could shrink and totally lose its shape beyond what ironing can fix.

Answer by Bmat at 8:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Washing linen does slightly change the texture and there can be some shrinkage. If you want to minimize that, just stretch the dress back into shape while it is still damp. Watch out if there's a lining as it may shrink differently.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Some of it depends on the quality of the fabric. Some are preshrunk (although unlikely if it says dry clean) and some are stronger than others. It will probably come out very wrinkled. I have had linens sort of shred apart too when put in the wash by accident. Good luck with it!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Yes, washed linen needs ironing or it will be very wrinkled. It is not always easy to get stains out - you may need to use a laundry product with enzymes to get out some of them. Best to dry clean - they can get the stains that you cannot and you don't have to iron either!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I worked dry cleaning. Linen tend to shrink but most the time with machine wash it will wrinkle really bad.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• why don't you get one of those drycleaning kits for the dryer?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Either shrink or shred in the washer.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010