DD is just over 3, doesn't take a nap...

what time do you think I should put her to bed? It seems as though it's never consistent with her...she's more tired some night than others, but I want a consitant time I should stick to. What's realistic??? Btw...she gets up anywhere from 6:30-7am.

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 8-8:30 should be good I would also have a good bedtime routine for her as well. At 3 y.o. my youngest didn't nap but he did lie down for 30 -45 minutes in the afternoon. I told him he did not have to nap but he did have to rest. Sometimes he would fall asleep,( Would never admit to it though (-:) That worked until he hit 4 or somewhere around there.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would say no later than 8p bedtime. If you can get her into bed earlier, do it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My son gave up naps at around the same age. His bedtime is 9:30 on school nites. During the summer it is kind of a free for all. My son is 4 though.
    ilovexzavier

Answer by ilovexzavier at 9:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and doesn't take naps consistently, but either way, we start the bedtime routine between 7 and 7:30. He's rarely in bed later than 8 p.m. most nights it's around 7:30.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My son has not taken a nap since 2 years old. He goes to bed at 8 pm everynight.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• it depends on when she is tired, but most resources say that she still needs 10 -12 hours of sleep a night. If she gets up at 7am then a bedtime from 7pm to 9pm is realistic. I would start around 7:30 pm and if she is still cranky in the next day move it back a half hour until she seems well rested in the morning and then set that as her bed time. Since every child needs different amounts of sleep it will really depend on how she is the next day for the right answer. You could also try having some quiet time everyday where she just rests, like reading a few stories or watching some Nick Jr., even if she isn't sleeping the resting will help improve her mood and if will give you some down time too.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My kisa gave up naps at that time and I took it but put them to bed around 7-8. If you stay up til 10 or 11 then a nap should still be required but my kids did ok without.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010