How do you know your in labor?

Im 38 weeks and i have been having alot of braxton hicks contractions.. Is labor contractions the same? how will i know im in labor? I have to travel 2 1/2 hours away so i dont want to be too late.. What were some signs you noticed right before you went into labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• call your doc and tell him they know cause every labor is different.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Honestly, with my first child, I never really had contractions. I had back labor, but not contractions. My water broke and that is why I went to the hospital. My second labor my water broke and I went to the hospital and this time, I had contractions. Call your doc and let him know what you are feeling.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Every pregnancy is different, i felt frequent urination for about 2 hours and then saw a bloody show... no contractions.. no other pain. I went to the hospital and was in labor. your best bet is to call your doctor as the other women said
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Honestly, its different for everyone and you will probably 'just know' when its time. When I was pregnant with my first I went into labor at 36 1/2 wks, I thought it was just BH and I didnt bother to call my midwife until 2 days later (the contractions were consistent and got closer and closer) I 'just knew' when it was time lol (he was born at 37wks 0 days)
    With my 2nd my water broke at home and my contractions were instantly 3 min apart, so I called my midwife and met her at the hospital and 3 1/2hrs after my water broke she was born!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i had little pains here and there nothing too painful only went to the doctor because after taking a nap i notice that my water was leaking but not broken never would have known i was in labor from the pains
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 9:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• call your dr.
    you are going to have to read all you can, and listen to your gut!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What I noticed was that my baby had gotten real still. I had no pains or water breaking when I noticed the "bloody show." The doctor always tells you, at each visit, how far dilated you are. I kept my hospital bag packed and volunteer drivers on alert. This happened with all three of my children. The pains didn't become noticeably hurtful til about 6 centimeters.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2010