those who have 3 kids?!!

those with 3 kids or uneven amount of kids is the "middle" child left out? or feel left out because they arent the oldest or youngest?

loventhem22

Asked by loventhem22 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. We make sure everyone gets some one on one time. Everyone is treated as equally as possible.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Well I have 3 surviving children and ummm.....no my middle child doesn't feel left out, She likes not being the youngest and loves her little brother. we do things evenly though, I take both my girls with me, my son is only one so he doesn't care but I try to be fair all the time if i don't take both I wont take either.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 9:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I was a middle child and I never felt left out. My older sister was the first to push the envelope and help my parents loosen up with rules and curfews, and my younger brother was protected and babied. I was right in the middle and never had to do either.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• yes for me~she has her special needs, but she is so near normal she is stellar around here compared to her two brothers with Gtube. she has the strongest constitution, eats anything, sleeps like a rock~feed her and she is good to go. I have to check in with her brothers to feed the every hr~

She get special rights as the only girl for me to raise, and that she loves the role of the helper still and gets lots of points for knowing where things are for the RN's or knowing what her nonverbal brother is saying.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm not sure how much one can do to actually change this in the mind of the child. Mine, I believe, are still too young to have this problem... my middle child is 4, sandwiched in between a 2 and 6 year old. When he's older he may not want to understand why the eldest gets to do something and he can't and why the baby gets away with things that he can't, which I try hard not to allow that to happen, but... for now he's generally a good-natured child that just "is." We have his easy going personality working with us. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I was a middle child too... I make sure to evenly distribute my time - usually its the oldest one catching the most crap though - he's 7 and his brothers are 2 and 1 - so I'm always "be nice to the babies, don't push him - he's just a baby" and he's expected to act like a big kid. I try to have more special "big kid" time with him, though - but its hard b/c the other two want to be stuck up my rear the whole time, and DS1 usually goes off any plays by himself.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My kids are all about 4 years apart, so they're all at different stages and have their own friends and activities. It actually works out really well, because things that my 12 yo is too old or "too cool" for, but my 4 yo is too young for, my (almost) 8 yo is the right age for. And he's old enough to understand that different ages have different rules like different bed times, etc. so there's less conflict about who gets to do what or who gets away with what.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• As the oldest of 3 children...yes there were days where I felt out, or my brother (middle) felt out, or my sister (youngest) felt out. But you get that when you have more than one child period.
    Growing up - my sister was "Daddy's little girl" and my brother was "Mama's Boy" and that left me the oldest on my own, but I'm stronger because of it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i was a middle child growing up. as children, $ spent on each of us was the same. i never felt bad for being in the middle, but my dad said i was a typical middle child.
    i agree with twins!
    it seems to be human nature to view the grass to be greener on the other side!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think those who answered no to this queston might be fibbing a little. In my situation I have an almost teen...a toddler...and my 7 year old in the middle. My husband and I try hard to make sure she doesnt feel left out or not as important. However, there are moments everyone of my children feel that they are not getting the proper amount of attention. It can vary from day to day to be honest.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 11:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010