How do I handle a flight that leaves at the same time my 2 year old normally goes to bed (and the flight includes an hour-long layover)? Anyone have ANY advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sleep is definitely most likely. We always travel at night for the sake of our children... sucks for the adults, but the kids sleep right through it. Bring lots of snacks, pick up his favorite juices and some water before boarding and a new toy. We're heading off on vacation in a couple weeks and I bought each of mine a new magnadoodle. It'll help occupy them. Also, 2 isn't too small for a pair of cheap headphones- let him play... countless small child hours can be filled by merely plugging in and unplugging them from the holes. ;-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• most likly she will fall asleep, i went from mi to az we had a layover in chi for 4 hours ugh i was by my self with 2 kids it was hell lol!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'd bring the car seat on the plane, and if you are lucky your 2 yo will sleep during the first flight. You'll have to wake him for the layovers of course, unless another adult is traveling too. Maybe one can carry him off the plane. Check his stroller at the gate so it is waiting for you when you deboard.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• can you nap him at anytime that day? he is not going to sleep in the plane or the layover is my bet~keep him fed with high protein foods.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I had to take my daughter on a 14 hour flight when she was 4 months old. I asked her doctor what could I do to keep this baby calm on that long a flight. He gave me two ideas, take her favorite blanket the 'smells' like home and to put a few drops of Jack Daniels in her bottle before we took off. Three drops of J.D. and she slept all 14 hours. I was a wreck, because once we landed we where a day behind on schedules. London to New York time. I just learned to sleep when my baby slept and was awake when the baby was awake. People think I have made my dd an alcoholic from an early age, but there where no meds to give her. To this day, neither of us like Jack Daniels.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think he'll fall asleep on the first flight, then wake up and be grumpy for the second flight. Bring fun things like m&ms, Bend-a-roos, silly putty, anything to just get him through. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We are going on our vacation soon and will be flying for 8 hours and have a 1 hour layover as well. We are just going to do our best. As far as the flight we will be leaving fairly early so hopefully she will fall asleep at some point. We are going to pack some of her favorite toys, blankets and snacks..as well as a few new toys, snacks etc... to keep her attention for a while. Keep her diaper changed and hopefully she will be happy for the majority of it....I am a little freaked out tho. During the layover maybe take her and get something to eat, and walk around a little and let her run and play get some of the wiggles out and just hope for the best.
    To answer your question, if she normally naps during the time the flight leaves...then maybe she will fall asleep for you the majority of the time. Good luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2010