which ''clothes bleach'' do u use ?

i used bleach to wash all my whites (and some really light colored clothes which were also safe to wash in bleach) .. but the shirts are still yellowish and socks are still brown. and i put in a little more than the instructions told me to on the bottle. should i be changing the brand or should i wash them in bleach a couple of times more so the whites retain their color? btw i bought a safeway generic brand which alot of people told me is also pretty good.

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Try putting in more bleach. Put in a lot. I think all bleach is the same.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Bleach is bleach to me. When I am bleaching whites though, I use the longest cycle. On my washer its called Whitest Whites. You could also try pretreating?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• hotter makes bleach work better. I wonder if you have high iron or something else. I do vinegar rinses with cloth diapers
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You know I heard someone say once that whites are actually dyed white, so when you bleach things, you're bleaching out stains and grime, but you're also bleaching out that bright white dye, so your whites get grayish and dingy looking after a while if you do it a lot. I heard to use peroxide instead. Take that for what it's worth, we don't have a lot of whites, so I haven't really had the chance to try it yet.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• i don't use bleach. my whites do not get yellow. they do look dingy after a few years. i might try white dye. the day i had my baby i washed my niece's shirt and it got a load of whites pink :(
    you could try sun bleaching too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Lemon juice and sunlight. Bleach is horrible for the environment and it just makes everything stink.

The browning issues might be your detergent. My MIL always used Tide and blamed the brown stains on hard water but I tried Tide when I first got married and it left stains on my clothes too.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Lemon Juice, Sunlight.
    Maybe borax?
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 10:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010