they say the second labor is faster, but in my case would i still consider it this way?

I was gong to have my first vaginally. he came early at 37 weeks weighing 7.9oz. I got as far as being able to see the top of his head. Doctor said that my pelvic bones where too small and all we were seeing wa his head swelling. So i had an emergency c section. ( funny thing was his head wasnt cone shaped at all when he was born) Anywho I am 38 weeks now and i am going to try for a VBAC. So will my second be considered a first or does labor in general go faster?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's only faster if you have already had a baby vaginally.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Since you labored with your first, this is considered your second. The only way it would count as your first would be if you hadn't labored, like if you'd had a scheduled C-section or an emergency one really early on for some reason. And it goes by labor, not birth; subsequent labors are faster, not just because it's your second baby, if that makes sense. The idea is that once your body knows what it's doing, it does it faster, and that can't happen if you've never labored before; but since you did, it's all good. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• SOMEtimes it is faster, certainly not a Rule!!
    ;-)
    For many, they can take a few hours off the total time, even half it... I almost halved mine. But the first was induced, baby-body were not yet ready to deliver, so that made it longer. If I waited for Nature it would have likely been smoother.

Do you feel that the cesarean was unnecessary?
    The plates in a babies head are designed to move ("mold").

Stay off your back, move and wriggle, work with gravity, etc... you'll do great!
    Use a birth doula!
    I hope you aren't using that same surgeon this time...
    ;- /

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• honestly, my 5th child was the longest and hardest labor, but it was still tons easier than what other women describe!
    most of my births were home births, and i had the freedom to birth in any position that was comfortable. i had the freedom to move around if i wanted to. i think that makes labor easier.
    good luck to you!
    congratulations on your growing family!
    and bravo to your choice of the vbac!!!
    Go Mama Go!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If your baby did not pass all the way through the birth canal, he wouldn't have a "cone head". And the cone head happens when they use the vacuum suction method to pull the baby out.
    My daughter tried a VBAC with her second and he got stuck, wouldn't move and they did an emergency c-section when his heart rate dropped. Your baby's life and the safety of the delivery is the most important thing to consider. Sometimes you just can't avoid a c-section and if you refuse a c-section, your baby will be the victim.
    Don't feel bad if you do have to have a c-section.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• WOW. I am irate at your first c-section. Good for you for pursuing a vbac, you will do fine.

Gertie:
    Cone head is not only caused by the vacuum. It is caused by the baby being in the birth canal, and it sounds like since her baby was crowning, he certianly was, AND her bones were already separated enough to let the baby through. In addition, it is normal for a baby's heart rate to drop during contractions, espcially if they are already in the birth canal. Also, there are many things you can try that will actually get the baby out faster that do not involve injuring the mother or the baby, such as changing positions. Delivery on your back with yoru feet in sturrups is the best way to compress your tailbone, which actually causes the baby to get stuck. I am sorry that your daughters births were so traumatic and ill-managed per your information.

One last thing, you shouldn't play the dead-baby card anymore. It's mean.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• wow. Squish is correct.
    Gertie, there is no reason to add unnecessary risks to a Mother and her Baby, this is why VBACs are encouraged, preferred, recommended.

Safety first!

BTW, My first baby (a waterbirth, in a tub, with water all around me, lol) had a cone head. I was pushing for 2 hours, that's why...
    My first doula birth was with a mom who was also a slow pusher (land birth here, though. No interventions...) He was so "coned" that he had a bruise ring on his head for about a month postpartum. (These are two of thousands+ stories about natural coning.)

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2010