Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do to make temporary custody permanent?

i have temporary custody, legal and physical. he has a step parenting program leading up to every other weekend. he has a bad record and has admitted to me and the courts he has a drinking problem, along with a record for various of things a bible thick. if he pays his support and makes all his visitation will the courts give him joint custody. hes playing responsible now but once the spot light is off i worry he will slip and mess up on my baby due to his uncontrolled bipolar and drinking. i know he will have visitation but he has not paid a dime for anything yet or has done anything for my baby. i do everything he did nothing not even claim our baby till the dna test came back when he writes that hes a dad on his stupid FB. he just makes me worry to death when he has the baby unsupervised. oh and he has no money for c.s or doc. bills but he has time and money to get a huge tattoo of the baby's name on his arm. so selfish!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Get a lawyer-
    laws are different state to state:)

    Answer by ABusyBee at 9:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • The courthouses often have lawyers whom show up free on certain days to offer advice and answer questions. You can also look up the process on your counties site.


    Answer by ABusyBee at 9:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • File a motion to change parenting time, then when you go to court you need to tell them what you want and why? have proof of his drinking problem or if he really is bipolar try to prove that to...either his own admittance to the court or if you get a lawyer you may be able to get his medical documents subpoena to the courts. Document everything and just be prepared in court. If I were you I would get a free consultation from a lawyer in your area and then you will know what your options are.

    Answer by geminisummerz at 10:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • As a BusyBee stated, courts have lawyers that show up on different days and times. Find out from court when these days and times are. They are usually only in the am and they are usually booked solid through lunch. So have all your paperwork in order and get to the courthouse super early cause its first come first served. Plan the day ahead of time cause you will probably be there for awhile waiting.

    Answer by beyondhopes at 10:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • Your in a predicament and it's really up to the judge, you need a good lawyer. Hopefully they can threaten him with jail time or garnish his wages so he will support his child.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.