Stopping the middle of the night feedings

Me and my fiance are currently in a position where we must share a bedroom with our 8 month old son. We've been trying really hard to break any middle of the night feeding but its really hard to ignore the screaming. It has progressively gotten better since I've tried holding out the bottle, giving the paci and patting his butt to get him back to sleep, also added soft music, that doesnt keep us up. But he will still wake up around 6-7 for a bottle just to fall back asleep. I know it isnt good for his teeth, so how do I get rid of it completely and keep him asleep all night long without him waking up frequently. And sometimes I can't help but to give him a bottle when hes screaming, I feel like I'm starving my child. Any advice please???

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long is he sleeping for?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• he will sleep about 3-4 hours at a time before he wakes up fussing
    krisholl2285

Comment by krisholl2285 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• sometimes shorter periods of time
    krisholl2285

• We coslept, and I nursed at night until around 14 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Oh that stinks! I know my daughter did that until she was 9 months old, but she wanted the boob. She also slept in a different room .... she stayed in our room until she was 6 months old and we noticed that she was waking up because she heard my hubby and I roll over and move around. I would try a loud fan or something and see if it makes a difference.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We usually have a fan on in our room and the soft music is right next to his crib. He isnt breastfed and is more into solids than the bottle but at night he seems to want it more than during the day. I hate to refuse to feed him but when I do give him a bottle he usually only downs half of it and falls asleep half way.
    krisholl2285

Comment by krisholl2285 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Honey, my son now is 9 months and sometimes is up 2x during the night, but sometimes just 1x. My first son never slept well and at 23 months he still doesn't sleep well. It just sucks!!!! I wish you luck. If they can hold the bottle and he just drinks it down, just give it to him. If you are brushing their teeth daily, I personally don't think it's a problem LOL That's me though, I'm a sucker my husband says. Seriously though, change the diaper and try to sooth them. If they are drinking the whole 8oz bottle they must be hungry!! That's what I would think and always have with my babies. I never deprive them of nutrition. When they are ready they will sleep through the night. I haven't slept more than a 4 hour stretch in 2 years, I feel your pain!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Im gonna try giving him a bottle with water and see if that holds him down.
    krisholl2285

Comment by krisholl2285 (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• There is a major growth spurt coming up. He's going to need and want a night feed, You should wait. Just don't leave him with the bottle, once he is done take it away.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• waking up every 3-4 hours at night is extremely normal for a baby. i chose to keep nursing thru the night until my son outgrew it at about 18 mos. he would wake every 2-4 hrs. it was horribly exhausting! there is a book called the no cry sleep solution which has a lot of ideas but like i said, i just waited it out. gl
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010