My daughter sleeps all day.....

I took away her computer, video games and i-Pod. Now she will have to stay awake wth nothing but a book?. What can I do besides this?
It is half past seven and she is still asleep. I tried waking her up but she just comes out and falls asleep on the couch. She is 12 and maybe it's her biological clock acting funny but I am tired of worrying about what will happen when school starts up again. Especailly when I home school her this year.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 10:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• pour cold water on her, make it ice water that will wake her up
    have her go outside and do outdoor activities give her chores to do
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• maybe you should consult the doctor. have her thyroid and iron levels checked. could be a medical reason, but it also could be depression. check into it
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I would call a doctor but she stays up on facebok or a few other chat sites all night. We litterally have caught her up at seven in the morning, still having not slept yet.
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• sometimes girls this age go through a phase where they need that extra sleep due to a growth spurt or a hormone change ! I would give it another 2 to 3 weeks then try changing her schedule to earlier to bed and earlier wake up!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 10:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Ok, make sure she's in bed before you go to bed. We have parental controls on our daughter's computer (which is in the living room) and she has no internet after 10pm. It's even earlier during the school year. She needs to sleep at night and be awake during the day. Maybe plan an activity that requires leaving the house. It's hard to sleep through a grocery store or playground or hike or playground or....
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i mean it is the summer, why does she have to be up at half past 7? If its something important then yea she needs to be up and get to bed early, but if shes got nothing going on the next day I don't see why she cannot just sleep in. still being up at 7am is a little much though. FYI if shes 12 and she doesn't want to go to sleep then she isn't going to go to sleep.
    elizJ

Answer by elizJ at 11:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My boys sleep most of the day as well, but this is because they are up all night. I am a little worried about when school starts, but I plan to have them change their sleep schedule 2 weeks before school starts. They tend to stay and watch movies and fall asleep on the couch. Since its summer and I work I don't really mind, because I know there is no trouble to get into while they are sleeping. There friends usually are moving around until about noon anyway.
    If you're really concerned I'd go back to handled you bedtime when she was much younger, put her to bed you go to sleep. Make her shower or wash her face/brush her teeth. Put in a movie you can watch as family, or even read her book (my boys still like this and they are 15 & 12). Then tuck her in and make her go to bed. It might work then she won't be sleeping all day, could take a couple weeks before her internal clocks gets use to it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• If you have her checked with Dr. for both physical problems and for depression and she checks out ok you can try this. Get some marbles put in freezer overnight, in morning wake her up once if she does not get up then dump the marbles in her bed under the blankets. She can not get away from them and those little things are waaaaay cold. She won't take that chance too many times.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 6:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010