How do i talk to my boyfriend about having a child

I want a baby really bad and I feel like it is consuming me and I want to talk to my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years about it but i'm afraid that he will feel like i'm pushing he to do it. Oh and i'm 20 years old.

myluck

Asked by myluck at 4:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think she was asking if she should wait or if she should start TTC. The question is regarding how to approach her boyfriend about it. I think that you two need to decide where you are in your relationship. Will baby = marriage in the near future? Do you guys want to get married? I do agree with what some of the other ladies have said - if you don't feel comfortable even bringing up the subject of a baby, maybe you need to wait and let your relationship continue to grow. But definitely talk. And go into your talk knowing that the conversation should probably deal with your long term relationship as a whole - not just the baby issue. You need to be sure you have a solid relationship before a baby. A child between the two of you means a life time commitment together, whether you want it that way or not. If you are not ready for this talk or this type of commitment, then you might just have to wait it out.
    BabyBumbleBee

Answer by BabyBumbleBee at 8:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• maybe you should talk to him about getting married first. and honestly, if you aren't secure enough in your relationship to bring up children, then you may want to reconsider this being a good time to make a family anyway.
    Anonymous

• WAIT!! im 20 and i have 9 month old, i wish we would have waited till i was 23 or older! dont be in a hurry to grow up!! youll miss the freedom you have when you have a baby, trust me!!! youre going to be 21 and youll want to go out and party and go to bars, all that changes when you have a baby!
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 4:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• yes and talk about getting married first!
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 4:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I wouldnt rush into it. I had my 1st at 17 and yes, I love her dearly but I missed out on being a kid. You never regret having kids, but you will wish it to have been a little different. 20 is still young. Wait until you get the 21 partying out of your system and then talk about marriage then after you get married talk about kids. Go work in a child care center and learn things about kids and babies. This way you will get your fix but you still get to go home, or out to eat, or shopping, or to the bar, or bowling, or to a movie without having to find a sitter first.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• wait out the consuming baby urge!!!! it will come around again.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 5:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Hi, I would also think that if you aren't sure how to bring up children with him that maybe it's not the right time. Hang on until you are able to talk about it and both feel it's the right time.
    amygrims

Answer by amygrims at 5:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• WAIT WAIT WAIT.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Hmm..I think if you aren't at the stage in your relationship where you can talk comfortably about these things..then you aren't ready at all. Take your time.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I had my first just after I turned 20 and although I love him so much, I wish I had waited a few more years at least. He is nearly 18 now so, yeah, I've had a loong time to think about it and my advice is like everyone elses: WAIT! Also, if you dont already know about your boyfriend's view on being a parent is then he isnt ready.
    Anonymous