does your dog chew his/her food??

my golden retriever never does, and i dont know why, but it pisses me off SOOO much...LOL he gets just under 2 cups every morning and night, and it takes him about 10 seconds to eat!! and then he goes and eats his poop!! EWW!!! ive tried every lil pill out there that claims the dog wont eat their poop..but nothing works..i think its cuz his food is still whole in his food..anyone know anything i can do to teach him to chew?? i was thinking of like grinding it all up so that its not whole in his poop..lol..i dont know what else to do!! ive tried adding carrots, bananas, apples..anything to make him chew..but he doesnt!

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Pets

• My Boston used to do that. What I did was put her food in a large dish with some other things in it. The dish had some raised areas so she would have to work between those areas to get her food out. I am not describing this very well.. Something like this link. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0H67&dir_id=1633&group_id=10573&cat_id=10574&subcat_id=10575&adv=94477&scrdr=1&cm_mmc=google-_-paid_search-_-dogbowlsfa
    But ours is in a larger flat pan. We got it a natural food store called bark.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't know how to help you but my cat does the same thing!!! Except he usually eats so fast that he throws it back up, lol.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 10:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Mine does sometimes.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• feed him by hand a little at a time for a while. once he gets use to eating a little slower start putting in his bowl.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my dog used to be like that, we left food down for her all day so whenever she was hungry she could eat, and now she takes her time and chews it, unless it is soft canned food!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Our dog drinks water and vomits it up. It's how he stays thin... Just kidding.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Is there something wrong with his teeth? Maybe they hurt him and he doesn;t WANT to chew? HAve you had his teeth cleaned? Dogs do get Gum Disease and that can cause many health problems. Ask the Vet and see if he has a Dental problem.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• How old is he? When my Boxer was younger he would wolf his food pretty fast. Now that he is older he finally eats like a civilized dog. lol
    There are dishes that are designed for dogs that eat too fast, they have things in the middle that they have to eat around. You can also put a couple of larger rocks or tennis balls in his dish that he has to eat around to slow him down.
    As far as the poop eating goes, if the pills are not working for you, then you will just have to watch him poo and then immediately clean it up. Not fun, but if nothing is working that is the only common sense solution.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• From what I've learned from research, most dogs DON'T chew their food. You can try one of those bowls KTMOM mentioned. I also agree with cleaning up the poop immediately or, if you can't, atleast get him away from the poop immediately and come back ASAP and clean it up.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I catch my dog not chewing her food sometimes too. It's pretty common, but your right...it totally sucks. Luckily I don't have the "eating their own poop" issue though. That's just gross. LOL
    angelsweet84

Answer by angelsweet84 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010