wanting to try a new food

I am looking for the best of the best for my 3 Golden Retrievers. I went to a local pet store, and they told me about a few foods. I have decided to try to go Grain Free, but will eventually love to do all Raw. So the brands they suggested were, Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, and Wellness Core. Has anyone use them? What are your thoughts?

Also, is it true that Rawhide is NOT digestable or good for my dogs? What should i use instead? I just want what is best for my dogs!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Pets

• I can't tell you anything about the dog food part as I don't recognize the names but I don't give my dogs Rawhide at all. I have heard too much against it and there is better. We give our dogs pigs ears and cow hooves. Both of which you can find at a pet store and both are better for dogs. That and bones. Though not chicken bones. There are bones you can buy at the store that are good for dogs and they loves them.

The other things on dog food I can suggest is to compare the ingredients, that's what we do. Pick the one that you feel is best based on the order of ingredients.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Those are all good foods. My Boxer did not do well on the TOTW though, but all dogs are different. Just switch over gradually.
    Rawhide is TERRIBLE. Not digestible in the least, and it is not a matter of IF a dog will get sick (or worse) it is a matter of WHEN. I dog sit and had a HUGE mess with a sick dog that had an obstruction from a rawhide. It was bad. Thankfully he is OK now.
    I give my Boxer raw meaty bones or natural antlers for recreational chewing.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Natural balance and wellness both gave my retrievers the WORST gas ever. They were ousted from the house. We couldn't be in the same room for weeks. We do a grain free that is some weird no-name brand from the farm supply store. We do cow hoofs as a chewy some times but those cause rancid farts too. My dogs chew a lot of sticks from our woods. I let them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The only one of those foods I've tried is TOTW. I fed my dogs the Pacific Stream (fish) formula and they LOVED it and did awesome on it. The only reason I stopped feeding it is that the store I bought it from went out of business. If I can find a good deal on it online, I will still by it sometimes. Two other brands I've fed are Blue Buffalo (lamb and rice or Longevity which is fish based to my adults and large breed puppy to my Belgian Malinois pup...these all have grains, but BB does make 3 grain-free formulas) and Canidae all life stages (the regular formula not the grain free). My dogs really like these foods, too, but I'm starting to think one of my dogs may have a grain sensitivity because he has been so itchy lately and he was never like that on TOTW.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Raw hyde is fine as long as they are over a year old,and it doesn't give them the runs.As far as the food,no i haven't used those,but grain free is best..umm,my vet said to give a few tablespoons of strawberry/banana yogurt a day to your dog a few days before switching foods because the enzymes help their tummy adjust.
    TootieFruitie

Answer by TootieFruitie at 10:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010