my husbadn thinks I am to over protective of my 4 1.2 eyar old because I wont let him stay over some where more then one night in a row at some where .. how do you think that I can break this?

misssunshine80

Asked by misssunshine80 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• YOU CAN MAKE SURE TO TELL THE PERSON YOUR CHILD IS STAYING OVER AT THAT YOU ARE NEW TO THIS AND GIVE THEM A CONTACT NUMBER WHERE THEY CAN CALL YOU IF ANYTHING AND THAT YOU WOULD WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR CHILD EVERYDAY THAT HE/SHE IS THERE
    Soon2bemom16

Answer by Soon2bemom16 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with that. You will change when you feel more comfortable. My kids are 6, 5 and 2 and are only allowed to spend the night at grandmas.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Do you want your husband to change his opinion or do you want to be ok with your son spending multiple nights away?

Personally, we don't let our kids spend the night anywhere except at Grandma's which is rare and one night only. I am the mother of my kids, and I say no more!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• 4 1/2 is still pretty young.. so i guess i would be doing the same thing if i were in ure place. u can let ure kid have sleep overs or spend a day at a friend's/relative's when he/she is around 6. and start by grandma's or an aunt. someone u are comfortable with..
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I would not call that being over-protective. I would call that wanting to parent and raise your own child and not give that responsibility to someone else.

I guess I also depends on how often your lil one is sleeping elsewhere. My dd is 2 1/2 and the ONLY time she has not slept at home is when she was 2 wks old and DH and I went to cancun.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I say sign me up for that club! My kids are 13 and 16 and don't stay away hardly. You don't know waht is going on out there. I hear of stuff happening at other peoples homes that I would not allow at mine and I will not expose my kids to that kind of stuff. We don't act like that and they aren't going to see it.

As for a 4 year old. Both our parents live far away as do all of my brothers and sisters so maybe if they lived closer it would be different but they would not stay longer then one day I can tell you that.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 11:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I see no need to let them stay over more than one night at a time at that age....unless it's a grandparent or someone you trust implicitly and you are okay with it. If you are planning a special weekend and have that trustworthy person(s), go for it. But don't stress yourself out about it....I personally don't think you are overprotective at all. There is plenty of time for more lengthy sleepovers when they are older....my 11 y.o and 13 y.o. do it occasionally with friends and also go to a week-long camp during the summer. My 7 y.o.spent several nights with Nana twice this summer...it was her special time away since she's not old enough for camp yet. But it takes time for some to grow into this. Don't worry!
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't let my child that age stay over someone elses house either...only if it was a relative I trusted.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 11:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My problem is that my MIL told my son that her phone was broke and she refuses to let him call me when he is there because she fears that he will want to come home and she lives about 30 min way I do not think its right to lie to a child and I dont think its wrong for a child to say they miss there mommy and want to call. She wants to talk him like 6 hours way to visit my brother in law and his kids with out me and I say no because of the fact she wont let him call my hubby says I am to over protective
    misssunshine80

Comment by misssunshine80 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My daughter's only 2 and I wouldn't let stay the night with anyone unless it's family.. that I trusted. At 4.5, I think he's still too young to stay at a friend's house or anyone else's house for longer than one night. I don't blame you. I'll be the same way with my daughter.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2010