Is sleeping on her stomach...

bad for her??? She is 1 month. I know they told me not to let her sleep on her stomach but she just sleeps so much better.

stephie06

Asked by stephie06 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter did tat sometimes....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The chance of SIDS increases...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• NO! When we were babies our mothers were told NEVER to put babies on their back... Now parents are told the opposite... I know a woman who's grandson died because he was on his back... My kids slept on their belly from DAY ONE! It's better for their digestion and it helps them sleep sounder and longer... If she's sleeping best that way, don't worry about all the rumor and hype... For every study that says one thing there is another that says something else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• my daughter slept so much better on her tummy but I was soo worried about the risk to her that I had her sleep on her tummy on my chest sometimes so I could watch her and get a few hours sleep! It might be to risky to put her to sleep on her tummy in her bed and be left alone!?!?!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 11:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• in my opinion it is not BAD for her, actually it can make digestion harder. BUT it is clear that SIDS risk is greater is she sleeps on her belly. my sons slept on their backs for this reason. :) jmho
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• All of mine slept on their backs. But, they absolutely loved to be swaddled and I wasn't about to swaddle them and lay them on their belly. I have plenty of friends who put their babies on their bellies.
    parris3

Answer by parris3 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Personally I have not put any of my babies to sleep that way....I am just way to nervous about SIDS. My boys like to sleep on their sides and the first time they rolled over onto their tummies in the night, it freaked me out! lol But I know a couple of friends put their babies to sleep on their tummies, I would just not recommend it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:45 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• both of mine slept on their backs because of the sids hype. my dd slept on her tummy as soon as she could get there on her own, there wasn't anything i could do to keep her off it. and when my ds can get there, it's up to him. but i agree with sabrinambowen, my mom put both my sister and myself on our tummys and were told not to put us on our backs, we're both still here, 22+years later.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The chance of SIDS increases. If you're willing to take the chance, then that's your decision as a mom. I had 3 out of my 5 who slept better on their tummies, but I would never put them down that way. If you continue to put them on their back, they get used to it.

Answer by missanc at 8:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i really would not recomend it!! SIDS risk goes way up. they have found through trial and error that this is not ok. the back to sleep rule has been around for a while now for good reason. SIDS went WAY down after this rule came in to play. i would rather have a baby who is here with me and keep waking up, then not. this will pass by fast i promise. try swaddling her and then put her down on her back. GL and CONGRATS!!!!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010