Infant Seizures ?

My daughter is 5 weeks old. And I'm paranoid she is having seizures.

She turns her head to the extreme right.. her eyes look like they are going to bug out.. spit comes out of her mouth.. she gets real stiff like.. and looks scared.

It almost looks like she is choking.. or can't breathe - but she is breathing..

As soon as she relaxes.. she takes a deep breath.. and almost immediatly falls asleep.

She did this a couple of times in her first week. Then again in her 3rd week..

Today she did it again about 3 times in a row..

YES I HAVE A CALL IN TO THE DOCTOR..

But has anyone else experienced infant seizures.. not caused by fever??

I'm scared .. I don't want to even set her down.. or walk out of the room if I do put her down.

4xmommy2008

Asked by 4xmommy2008 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just went through the EXACT same thing symptoms and all, I freaked out of course and I ended up taking my baby girl to the hospital, they did every test possible ( poor baby) and it wasent seziures like I thought, it was acid reflux! It was scary as hell so I feel for you, take a deep breath...maybe try feeding her a little more upright?
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 12:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• To me it doesn't sound like seizures. I'm thinking that because as far as i know when a child or anyone for that matter, is having a seizure they do NOT breath. That is why babies can suffer from brain damage if they constantly have seizures due to the lack of oxygen.
    nicolemarie87

Answer by nicolemarie87 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I doesn't sound like a seizure to me. The signs of a seisure that sound close to what your baby is doing: Eyes rolling in the back of the head or spacing out and suddenly jolting out of it (this does happen with normal infants up to a certain stage).

It sounds like something my twins did when they were that young. It was from choking on drool or excess milk that they did not swallow. It's scary, but not anything to worry about.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I would just being her in to be looked at. It may be helpful if you can get it on video the next time she does it... because she probably won't do it for the doctor. And the pp is not correct in saying that you can't breath when you have a seizure... you can. And they don't cause brain damage.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Although I am not a doctor, I think this sounds like some kind of minor seizure. I am very glad you have a call into the doctor. I agree iwth AmiJanell, if you can - try to video this. It will be helpful for the doctor when making a diagnosis. More than likely, the doctor will want to do some testing to determine exactly what is going on - probably an EEG. This was years and years ago but I had unexplained seizures from the time I was 11 months old until I was 6 years old. The seizures got less frequent over time and eventually went away. I am so sorry that you are having to experience this - I know it has to be really scary. If you don't have an appointment for tomorrow or Friday at the latest, I would call again and see if you can get in for tomorrow or Friday. Good luck and I will be thinking about you and your little one.
    jamaicanmehappy

Answer by jamaicanmehappy at 10:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I should have also mentioned.. the reason I am so paranoid is that her daddy has seizures.. not often.. and usually when he's sleeping ( I only seen it once in the year we were together)

We go to the doctor tomorrow..
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• it sounds scary :( im sorry, please take her to see her pediatrician
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008