depressed hubby?

My husband has been struggling with depression. I am going to see if our insurance covers some sort of counseling... and other suggestions on how I can help him through this?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• How about some Sam-E?
    play4LA

Answer by play4LA at 12:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Get him in to see a family doctor. There are several health issues that can be going on that can cause depression type symptoms. Make sure you rule those out.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Talk to him about what is bothering him. See if there is something you can do to help him
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It depends on if it is circumstantial or physiological. If circumstantial you can help him figure out what is depressing him but if it's physiological he may needs meds and there isn't much you can do but be supportive. Depression is normally cyclical so until you can figure out what's up give him Vit B Complex and get him to a real doctor. That doctor can either give him meds or refer him for counseling. Insurance will pay for it either way.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• oh yes, I forgot to mention... I talked to him about getting a complete bloodtest done, but can I request it on his behalf, or does he have to call our family doctor?
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• All the answers are great :) I would combine seeing a primary doctor to check for health issues and also he/she can prescribe meds along with seeing a therapist/counselor. Meds and talk therapy combined are usually pretty effective.
    LadyJewel0919

Answer by LadyJewel0919 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He probably needs to go in. But always call and make hubs annual physical appointment. Otherwise it won't get done
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010