Will pumping for two days instead of bfing hurt my milk supply?

My DS is 3months old. My milk supply is very well established and he's a great feeder. I'm wanting to take an overnight float trip with some friends. I will be pumping every2-3 hours but, I'm really not sure if this will still decrease my milk supply. I have a hand pump I love and a medela pump-in-style. Just curious if anyone's ever done this with a younger baby. Thanks.

parris3

Asked by parris3 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you pump consistantly your supply should be fine. but just to let you know, i started giving my ds a bottle when i started back to work, i was pumping. he was 3 months old, he is now 4 months and no longer wants to nurse. he nurses in the morning when he wakes up and right before bed, otherwise he wants his bottle. even on my days off he prefers the bottle now during the day.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I've done this a few times and my daughter is now 9 1/2 months old. I've never had a problem with supply. As long as you pump as often as you would feed your baby, you are fine. I use the Medela manual and it works great!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It might, and it might not. With such a young baby, I'd recommend a very strict pump schedule while away. More often then baby nurses. At least every 2-3 hrs during the day and at least every 3-4 hrs overnight. Unless you plan on using formula, you will also have to pump a bit ahead of time to provide milk while you are away.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I already have more than enough saved for the overnight trip.
    Your input was really helpful. I don't know of anyone that's done an overnight trip before at this age. At this point I'm going to go ahead and move forward with the trip. I'll only be 2 hours away so, if it looks like I'm not pumping enough I can always head back to the baby.
    parris3

Comment by parris3 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010