how much does your baby eat?

my ds is 4 months old and he is eating like crazy! he ate 10oz today over a 3 hour period then after about 1.5-2 hours ate 3oz more. it's been like that all day! actually the last couple days. he weighs around 16-17lbs. do you think he maybe ready for a little more than a liquid diet? maybe rice cereal. please no preaching about breast is best or any of that.

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is about the same age and doing the same thing. He nurses more frequently and when I am trying to eat he is pulling at my plate, fork, and drink! I went ahead and started him on some rice cereal. He loves it and I don't feed him too much right now but I figure if he is like my second son, and early start is not a bad idea. At the rate he is growing, he may just need more to fill up his tummy. You can use formula to mix it with and give it a try! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't bottle feed but, maybe he's just hitting a growth spurt?? Our doc says you can start rice cereal around 4 months if you want too...I would give it a few more days and if he doesn't slow back down again go ahead and try spooning him some rice cereal with milk>
    parris3

Answer by parris3 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• just to clarify milk>formula/breastmilk...i know how picky some moms are on here and will think you mean cows milk, sorry i've seen it happen...just want to avoid any confusion! lol
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes i would try some. maybe even a lil veggies!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Talk to your pedi at his 4 month appointment. He may ok you to start solids. I would sip the cereal though and do veggies. One veggie for atleast 3 days, then try the next one for 3 days etc to watch for allergies :) It may also be a growth spurt..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2010