Is it normal for a baby (2 weeks old) to never burp hardly?

Like he seriously never burps after a bottle! He might do it later on accident but he is so hard to burp! Is this ok? And how can I get him to burp if its not ok? I never had this problem with DD so I'm at a loss!! lol

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 12:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds doesn't always burp when i try to burp him, but it always seems to eventually come out. he's 4 months, but has been this way since he was born. try to change postitions. if your ds won't burp after 5-10mins then leave it alone. also, it's hard to get a baby to burp once they've fallen asleep.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with nickellmomof2. Try a couple of positions and if nothing happens after about 10 minutes, stop. It will just work itself out later or if he gets squirmy or starts crying, try again and see if he burps then. All you can do is try!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:58 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I believe there is a burp in there and if you don't get it out it leads to discomfort and gas. Are you burping over the shoulder or leaning into your hand from your lap? I found that leaning their chest and belly into my palm while sitting up on my knee helped when they were still tiny. Keep trying if he is showing discomfort after a bottle. If not, no need to worry.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Our formula fed kid ALWAYS burped. Our breastfed kid NEVER burped. So if she doesn't, she just may not have to.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2010