Do any of you bake whole wheat (no white at all) bread in a breadmachine? If so what kind of flour do you use?

I'm trying to figure out how to avoid white flour in my bread but all the directions call for half white flour... I had a friend mention diffrent types of wheat flour that rise easier might work any ideas?

busymartinmama

Asked by busymartinmama at 1:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use /king Arthur Flour. You can also buy Vital Wheat Glutn to add to your dough. "Gluten, Vital Wheat is the natural protein found in wheat. It contains 75% protein. A small amount added to yeast bread recipes improves the texture and elasticity of the dough. This is often used by commercial bakeries to produce light textured breads, and can easily put the home bread baker on a par with the professionals. Vital Wheat Gluten can also be used to make a meat substitute known as seitan."
    CareyEl

Answer by CareyEl at 1:21 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I use whole wheat flour and no vital wheat gluten. Gluten provides yeast bread's structure, and helps it rise and stay risen. Vital wheat gluten provides the extra gluten heavier, whole-grain loaves need to rise their highest. I have a rice bread recipe that calls for cooked rice, and I believe the rice gives the needed added boost for a good rise. I did try adding VWG and the loaves practically burst when they rose so now I don't even bother.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I get the softer white whole wheat flour
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• agree with the pp
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 12:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I use whole wheat pastry flour; it is softer than regular WW.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010