How to decipline my 8 month old

my son is only 8 months old and is already trying to see what he can and cant get away with. I tell him no all the time when he wants something he cant have or does something he shouldn't do. Hes starting to pull hair, hit and bite. If he doesn't get what he wants he throws a fit and screams. How do I assert myelf in a calm and effective way?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can't really discipline a child that young. if he bites, hits, or pulls hair put him down and walk away. he'll figure out that those things are a no-no. It will take a few tries. He's testing to see what he can do and he's learning as he does everything.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i personally just do a little light pop on the diaper or hand depending on what they are doing it just hurts thier feelings and eventually makes them learn and also with mine when she got to biting pulling hair and pinching after a while of not being able to stop it i tried doing the things back to her when she did them not hard just enough to feel it a little and that worked for me
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 1:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• With the hair pulling or biting, I would put him down as soon as he does it. In a safe place of course and give a moment for him to calm down, then pick him up again. Give him a bit of a time out so to speak when he does those things. If he bites and you set him down he will learn that the reaction for biting is he is not near you because he bit/hit etc. If he pulls hair, put him down and he will realize that pulling hair gets him put down. Pretty simple cause and effect. It can be hard when babies are to young to explain that is not nice. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:13 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I guess I would suggest a firm "no", and move him away from what he is doing wrong. Ignore the fits, do not react or walk away, and just make sure he is in a place that he can not hurt himself if he would tip over while sitting or whatever. He is really too young for anything else. Just make sure he is getting a lot of mommy time and that might be enough to help the behavior stop. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• wow, at such a young age, that's a tuffy. i would recommend just calmly telling him "please don't" then maybe set him in his crib or playpen for a minute. then when you get him out if he continues to act up, repeat the whole thing. he'll start to learn that when he does those things he ends up in his bed. i would try to avoid "no" just because it's such an easy word for babies to pick up and repeat. "please don't" seemed to be much more affective with my dd than "no" and we didn't go through the whole "no" phase.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It's hard to find an area to put him in, I dont want to associate anywhere he sleeps or plays in with "im in trouble if im put in there" I've tried the light smack of the hand or doing it back so he knows that it hurts. But I don't want to teach him that smacking is the answer to solve problems. I know hes really young and there isnt much I can do but I cant just let him hit or pull hair or bite.
    krisholl2285

Comment by krisholl2285 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with the other posters..Telling him "no hitting" or "no biting" and then just setting him down for a bit and walking away is the best thing. He isn't doing it to be malicious..he is too young..he is just learning boundries and teaching him cause and effect is the best way to teach it to him.
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He's too young to realize what your saying. Spanking him isn't going to work no matter how old he is. A firm no when he hits or bites will do. You need to understand that he can't comprehend what your saying, though. He cries because that's the only way he can communicate.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He's 8 months old. He's still a baby and does not have the capacity to understand you and certainly doesn't have impulse control. Babies have an innate , and very strong insatiable desire to explore. Slapping hands isn't going to over ride that impulse and it teaches nothing. You can't discipline an 8 month old. You can only be ACTIVE in REDIRECTION. You use your tone and body language and words to reinforce, but don't expect to be understood unless you take action -- move the baby and give another more intersting toy or object to climb. He will be upset, and that's OKAY. He's allowed to be irritated that he can't turn the knob on the fancy stereo. Crying and using physical expressions of anger are the only ways he can communicate since he can't speak or understand enlglish! ALL babies do it. You calmly say no biting and put him down and then ignore it or show "nice touch".
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• A firm "no" and redirecting is what I used for both my babies.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 19, 2010