Ezekiel: prophet or fraud?

Any historians out there? Someone made the claim:
_____________________
Ezekiel predicts that Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon will conquer Egypt utterly destroying it, slaying and scattering it’s people, and that it will stay uninhabited for 40 years.

In 568 BCE Nebuchadrezzar tried to conquer Egypt and Egypt survived with no apparent damage.

Aahmes ruled for another generation over a prosperous Egypt and lived to see Nebuchadrezzar die. No Egyptians were scattered or dispersed.
_____________________
Is this true? Did Ezekiel make that prophecy? And did the prophecy in fact turn out not to happen?

Clairwil

Asked by Clairwil at 1:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The source of the above claim was Capella's Guide to Atheism

The passages Capella cites as evidence are:

Ezekiel 29:10-12 (New International Version)

therefore I am against you and against your streams, and I will make the land of Egypt a ruin and a desolate waste from Migdol to Aswan, as far as the border of Cush.  No foot of man or animal will pass through it; no one will live there for forty years.  I will make the land of Egypt desolate among devastated lands, and her cities will lie desolate forty years among ruined cities. And I will disperse the Egyptians among the nations and scatter them through the countries.

and (contined...)
    Clairwil

Comment by Clairwil (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• (...continuation)

Ezekiel 30:10-11 (New International Version)

10 " 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:
           " 'I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt
           by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon.

11 He and his army—the most ruthless of nations—
           will be brought in to destroy the land.
           They will draw their swords against Egypt
           and fill the land with the slain.

Clairwil

Comment by Clairwil (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• http://www.exchangedlife.com/skeptic/ezekiel.htm

This explains a lot. :)
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 1:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I'm not a historian, which is why I've asked the question.  But I have done a basic search.

First off, have a look at this encyclopedia entry for the Battle of Carchemish

To me it looks like the Babylonians utterly destroyed the Egyptian army (or at least, that part of the army the Egyptians had sent to aid the Assyrians).  At which point, Ezekiel's prediction must have looked like a sure thing.  But then Nebuchadnezzar's father unexpectedly died, and rather than going on to destroy Egypt, Nebuchadnezzar had to return back to the Babylonian capital.

What do you think?

Clairwil

Comment by Clairwil (original poster) at 1:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Heather wrote: http://www.exchangedlife.com/skeptic/ezekiel.htm

Interesting stuff.  But that addresses Ezekiel's predictions about Tyre, not his predictions about Egypt.

Clairwil

Comment by Clairwil (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Many times prophesies are symbolic. Here is what one commentary I found (on searchinggodsword.org) had to say about Ezekiel 29:11:

"answering to the forty years in which the Israelites, their former bondsmen, wandered in "the wilderness" (compare Note, JEROME remarks the number forty is one often connected with affliction and judgment. The rains of the flood in forty days brought destruction on the world. Moses, Elias, and the Saviour fasted forty days. The interval between Egypt's overthrow by Nebuchadnezzar and the deliverance by Cyrus, was about forty years. The ideal forty years' wilderness state of social and political degradation, rather than a literal non-passing of man or beast for that term, is mainly intended (so Ezekiel 4:6, Isaiah 19:2,11)."

solamama

Answer by solamama at 3:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The bible is the best place to find the prophecy and its results... because your links come from an athiest I cannot fully trust it. Some try to hard to debunk truth. Let me find the prophecy first.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The Prophecy by Ezekiel is in Ez 29... and it speaks if it again in Jeremiah and that he defeated it Jeremiah 46.

Ezekiel was a prophet and no other.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• > The ideal forty years' wilderness state of social and political degradation, rather than a literal non-passing of man or beast for that term, is mainly intended

So you agree that Nebuchadnezzar didn't actually conquor the lands of Egypt, or lay waste to their cities?

Clairwil

Comment by Clairwil (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Honestly, it's really hard to prove any prophet as false because unless they give dates we don't ever know when their predictions are set to come true... We may just not have reached the point where they come true... or maybe they are fake and their predictions never will come true... But without a timeline, we never know.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010