Excited but unsure what to do....

I am so excited. I am 5 months along with my second and my boobies are already producing milk. Why am I excited you ask? I couldnt produce with my first. I tried for months after she was born and was only producing an average of 3 oz a day. I am not giving up the thought of breast feeding. I want to give all of my kids the same fighting chance as the last. But with my boobies producing (I am guessing colostrum??) what do I do with it? Wear boobie pads and let them fill up and leak a little? do I squeeze some of it out? There is not enough to pump or anything but I feel like it is going to work out this time and I dont want that option to go away if I am not doing the right thing?? I have heard just leave them be but I dont want to dry up. If I dried up during pregnancy would they produce after baby is born??

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 4:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Just wear A good support bra and boob pads. I was that way with my 2nd. at 6 months I was always leaky. I still had some much to feed him with when he was born that I would feed and still pump to empty them. GOOD LUCK
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 4:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• ugh i was the same lol im hopeing im lucky like you for this one ..
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Don't pump! If you start stimulating them too much for too long you could potentially start contractions. Leave them be. They are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Something that I learned from breastfeeding is to STOP worrying!!! That is impossible being a mom right? Your body will make more milk the more the baby sucks/you pump. I promise if you drink tons of liquids to help supply the milk and let baby suck without worrying, it will come. I was never a pump breastfeeder. I tried but just didn't have the extra. But my baby did fine and I relaxed. Get in touch with a lactation specialist. The Le Leche League is awesome. Online too for your questions. Trust yourself and nature that it will go okay. And know that it is okay for the baby to loose a little weight the first few days. ITS NORMAL! Good luck. I know you will do fine. I'm excited for you! I have baby fever sooooo bad!
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 5:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• okay I know about the supply and demand thing. Didnt work for me. I knew she was going to lose weight the 1st few weeks but at 2 month appt (before I started pumping and realized I was only producing 3 oz a day) she had lost a lot of weight and they said if she lost one more ounce she would have to be in ICU until she gained back the weight. I know to drink a ton of water...cant get enough of the stuff. I wasnt stressing it just was not coming....
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008