When did you start potty training?

And what techniques did you try? What actually worked? Boys, Girls or both?

Really need tips.

My son is 3 (4 in january) and he is still not potty trained..I'm not sure what to do with him, and my daughter is almost 1. I'm not sure when I should start with her. DS was 2 when we started. He did great until DD was born, and its been hell since. Should I start earlier with her? What to do with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started at 18 months. I didn't really think he was ready yet. I just bought the learning toilet and told him it was his and he could use it when he wanted to. And he started using it on his own the next day. When he used it i gave him a sticker on a chart. When the chart got full i took him to Chuck E Cheese. We did that 3 times, changing the rules slightly as we went (like getting a sticker for poops only). He was fully learned by 27 months.

My advice would be not to put too much pressure on your son until you start to teach your daughter. Then you can do both of them at once.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh yea.
    and you start them when they are ready. Not at any specific age.
    If the tell you they are going pee or poop or if the request a diaper change right after they have done the deed that's a good time to start preparing (like i bought the toilet chair with no intention of actually starting). Encourage them and they will want to do it on their own.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• boys notoriously take longer than girls. LOL is he showing signs of interest and readiness? we started at about 2 when he showed some signs of interest. but my son is delayed and he didnt finish potty training till age 5 and a half. rather late. but he knew what to do, just didnt WANT to give up his diapers. LOL i would keep encouraging but dont make it a battle of wills. honestly you dont see people walking around in diapers as adults. he will do it in his own time and no sooner. you could make sure to really make a big deal when he does go in the potty but dont stress it if he doesnt.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I started at 2, bought everything, potty, toilet seat, training pants...etc, which he helped picked all,,, still no luck,,
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 2:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I started when DS was 2. He didn't fully get it until about 4. DD was EC'd and we started at 2 days old. She has been using the toilet for a year now. You just have to get her on it, but she tells you she has to go. She even held it when she was younger, under a year. As long as you took her to the potty often enough, she would go and rarely had to wear diapers.
    VolpeFemmina

Answer by VolpeFemmina at 2:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• bribery. LOL. m&ms if he pees....and a small toy if he poops. we have a collection of toys waiting for when he poops on the potty
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2010