Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What should I do if my landlord refuses to fix anything?

Every time I call to have something fixed she hangs up on me.


Asked by nebraskamamaof2 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 10 (399 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I agree with mommmytobe626. We had to replace the kitchen faucet yesterday cuz they wouldnt come over and fix it. I was leaking for a few months, I called and told them about it like 3 or 4 times and they did nothing to fix it. It finally broke and we came home to a flooded kitchen. I'm bringing the receipt up to them in the morning and telling them thats part of the rent money. They chose not to do anything about it so we did and they are paying for it one way or another. There is a lot more stuff that needs to be fixed but I'm not putting that much money into a rental that we are just going to move out in a few months anyways. Its too small for us now.

    Answer by jojolicious220 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • I was told to write your landlord a lettr listing what is needed to be done and expain that she has 30 days to fix it if she doen't you will fix it and deduct it from your rent send her the letter and keep a copy and make sure you date it and keep all receipts however each state is different contact someone about landlord tenans rights.

    Answer by dynameteduck at 3:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • you cannot refuse to pay rent unless its in your lease or you live in a good state with that as a tenant right. so what you can do is call the city and report your landlord as being a slumlord. keep on the city to do something about them. and in the meanwhile start looking for a new place to live, even if you have to break the lease

    Answer by sati769leigh at 2:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • i would tell her you will fix it yourself and she can take it off your rent..just give her the receipts

    Answer by shay1130 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • Make sure to send the letter certified or return receipt so you have proof she received it. Check to see if there is a rental or landlord association in your area.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

Next question in Home & Garden

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months)) old?