I have someone whom lost a child

That i am friends with Its her sons birthday tommrow, And she is looking to me for comfort and i just dont know what to say honestly i dont know what to say but he is looking down on you smiling from heaven etc, i am there for her but what do you say to a mommy that lost her baby in such a short time my heart just aches for them its breaking now

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is absolutely nothing you can say to make it better. And, honestly, I'm betting she's not expecting you to. I would say just be there for her. If it was a stillbirth or a death as a child, maybe you could go with her to his gravesite and bring flowers, take her to lunch or something. Otherwise, maybe tell her that you want to do something with her and the activity is her choice, whether it's shopping or just sitting there and crying with you.
    amygrims

Answer by amygrims at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• That is such an incredible loss. I dont know what to say either. There is nothing you can say to her to make him come back or make her feel better that he is gone. There is nothing more devistating than the loss of a child. I will pray for both of you.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• just be there and let her talk about him you can't make it better and be honest and tell her I don't know what to say my heart is breaking for you she just needs you to be there.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• take it from me, i lost my first daughter when i was 7 months pregnant. that was over 2 years ago. there is really nothing that you can do for her, but be there for her. let her know that it does get easier. we had our daughter cremated so that she could be home with us, and when her birthday comes around we have a rememberance for her. just the immediate family. me, my husband and our 1 one year old. so that is really all you can do for her is be there and be the friend that you are. comfort her and just listen and tell her that is a tough thing to go through and it can only get better from here. you and your friend are in my prayers.
    emmy79

Answer by emmy79 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Thank you kindly
    Anonymous

• All you can really say is, "I'm so sorry for your loss." No one should ever have to go through that. Ask her how you can help her, or even ask if you can help with specific tasks (as in, "Would you like me to take your son to Kindergym?") Do what you can to give her a break, and be an ear if she ever needs it. Let he grieve in her own way.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• dont say anything just say im here for u if u need anything.my huspand lost a baby to sids befor and there is nothing u can say unless u know how they feel(been through it),i wouldnt say hes looking down on u smileing though.just hug her and tell her how much u care.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2008