For mothers that breastfed .....

How long did it take for your child to latch?

How long did you nurse for?

did you have support to nurse from family?

did you have a LLL help?

Were you educated about BF or not really?

Ill post my answers below.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• How long did it take for your child to latch?
    My oldest latched instantly. My second took a few minutes.

How long did you nurse for?
    My first for two years. My second for a little over a day, He had bloody stool due to a milk protein allergy and I had to formula feed him. (Amino acid based Hypoallergenic formula)

Yes.

did you have a LLL help?
    No

Yes.

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son latched within the first 20 minutes after birth
    I'm still nursing, my sons 8 months old
    Yes my mom and my SO and everyone else, but mainly them
    I did not have LLL help but my insurance provides a lactation specialist for each mother during the first week after giving birth and I utilized that for the day after my son was born
    Yes I took classes for BF
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

It took my daughter 6 days to latch on. It was so frustrating and i felt like a failure, but i decided to keep up with it because it was best for her and i. She also swallowed a lot more amniotic fluid than normal when in my belly and her tummy was very full, we would spoon feed her formula (she had to eat and to not get nipple confusion) and she would projectile vomit... it was so sad and really frustrating... but the 6th or 7th day she finally got it!! :)

How long did you nurse for?
    I nursed for almost 17 months. I stopped nursing 9 days ago!
    Yes everylne in my family has nursed.. well my immediate family. my sister BFed her kids until atou 1-2 yrs of age....
    did you have a LLL help?
    In the hosp i did, she was excellent i wanted to get her a card lol

Were you educated about BF or not really
    i prety much knew from my sisters CO
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• CONTD... from my sisters but still googled and read about everything while i was pregnant. lol

i have another question, did you co sleep ?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes I co-sleep on occassion now but I did everynight until my son could lift himself up/get on all fours at 6months
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I still co sleep... shes 17 months :) i love it!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It took me about 10 minutes with a nurses help to get my DD to latch the first time. She had already been given formula though, cuz I couldn't see her for an hour after she was born (they were afraid she dislocated her shoulder coming out, so they took her immediately to a pediatrician). It took about a day for us both to get really used to it, and then it was a lot easier. I had support from my DH, but he did offer to buy formula when my nipples started cracking badly... I didn't know to express if your breasts got too full, so the latch wasn't right.. and it hurt! I didn't get enough information on breastfeeding before I was doing it. I took a class, but I didn't find it very helpful after the fact, the teacher kept talking about how long she had breastfed for, and the information she gave us was incomplete. I started cosleeping at 6 weeks when I went back to work. DD is 14 months, i still nurse her.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

Pretty much instantly. We nursed within the first hour.

How long did you nurse for?
    15 months I wanted to go longer but developed a skin conditon on my nipples. Thought it was thrush for MONTHS, but turned out to be eczema/bacterial. It's finally clearing up. Not sure if we will go back to it or not, but after 6 mo of struggling, I had to take a break to heal.

did you have support from family?
    Until she turned 1. Then suddenly they started making comments, all the more frustrating that I had to stop for other reasons. I HATE it when Nay sayers get their way!
    did you have a LLL help?
    After dealing with the skin thing, I called. She was very sweet & tried to help, but it came down to going to a dermatologist rather than an ob or midwife.
    Not really. I just figured that's how babies eat, it would just happen. Mostly it did.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 4:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• ahh earthmama i have eczema on my hands i couldnt imagine having it on my nipples and nursing!! that'd be so painful...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The only way i really "educated" myself about it was online here & a few small paragraphs included in some pregnancy books. I guess my downfall was that I didn't realize "WHY" you weren't supposed to use soap in the shower on your breasts, so i did. That washes away your natural oils & good bacteria, leading to thrush or eczema. Also, I thought you were only supposed to use lansinoh if you were having problems with dry skin or sore nipples. It didn't really occur to me that it could prevent those problems too. A word of advice to others. If you are struggling with "thrush" for a long time & nothing seems to be helping, go to a dermatologist. It seems to me that as soon as a ob or midwife sees irritation on nipples they assume it is yeast. I even asked them to do a swab to make sure (after 6 mo) & they said, " I can just tell it's yeast". Funny, cause when the dermatologist took a skin sample, it was bacterial.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 4:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2010