My 10month old has a diaper rash....what do i do?

I have Butt paste that I have been using for him, this is his first diaper rash.

He has been having runny poop and I think that is what caused it, because it didn't have a smell so I couldn't tell that he pooped, and it wasn't much.

No I am constantly changing his diaper because it is irritating him and he is crying, I even let him be diaper less for a while.

Its is from his lower but all of the way to his ball sack :( and a little irritation on his penis. He cries in pain if I even pat it dry :(

Tips please on to clear this fast

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son just has a bad diaper rash a months ago due to diarrhea, I try Desitin, Butt paste, Vaselin, but didn't work. I also let him run free but it didn't help either so finanly I call my Dr and he gave me advice to use dr. Smith, which sell at Kroger, HEB, Randal, walgrees. I use dr smith mix with just a little it of hydrocortizon 1 % ( tiny bit) and apply to his butt when ever he pee or change diaper. resutl should be within couple hours, try it. ( don't use diaper just let him free or you can use cloth diaper but make it loose)
    hungluvphuong

Answer by hungluvphuong at 10:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Desitin was my savior!
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 4:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• air dry is best in my opinion. its hot out. let him be naked and keep it open to the air to dry up the rash. dont slather it in ointment and cover it with a diaper. it cant breath to heal if you do that
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When I was taking care of my grandmother and she got a diaper rash, we used desitin and that worked really fast. The desitin even made the rash hurt less and she used to get such bad rashes because of C-Diff to where the skin would break down and she would bleed.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 4:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my dd gets bad rashes when she does get them. heres what we do and it clears up in about 3 days. Hers would bleed split, dry out and get risen up...So hers what we would do.

Make sure her diaper is always dry. if she goes potty, DO NOT use baby wipes, it BURNS them so bad. We would wash her booty off under luke warm water... let her air dry about 10-20 min a time a few times a day...

in the meantime, desitin sucked butt paste sucked.. it wasnt thick enough and allowed to let the urine to touch his skin and burn him bad. we SLATHERED A+D on her.... every change.

A+D was thick enough to not let any pee or poo through to touch her skin.

Good luck! you should really try this and it works perfectly. :) GL
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• "DESTIN" is a GREAT diaper rash ointment! If you have a 24 hour Walmart or CVS or grocery story, you CAN find it there. I would use that and give the baby some Infant Tylenol or Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin). BE VERY CAREFUL of the amount you give the baby. Check the bottle (per weight) is the dosage amount. Read directions carefully.

Also, www.WEBMD.com is a great source for more information.

If it gets very bad, I would take the baby to the doctor. You may want to keep a log (journal) to keep information to give to the doctor if needed. For example, what he eats or drinks, how many time he poops, wets, temperature or (fever) if any, if he teething, etc.

Make sure he/she is DRY before you place a new diaper on him/her.

Good luck I hope the baby is better real soon.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:27 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Another thing is VASELINE (after the rash goes away) for preventing rash. I would apply Vaseline (petroleum jelly) after each diaper change because it causes urine to repel right off. It works every time.

Any brand will do.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• also, my dds pediatrician told me to take her swimming. that helped the chlorine helped kill it i guess? idk.. but it seemed to help with all of the above i did.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Air is the best thing for diaper rash. Let it breathe 24-72 hours. A lot of creams burn. Don't ut vaseline on it, its bad for he skind and doesn't let skin breathe. Aloe is somtimes soothing and so can coconut oil, but don't use those unless needed. Air is what you want and leave it alone otherwise.

Put your baby on some absorbant cloths or a floor that's easily cleaned up. If you pay attention you can even use a potty.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• BTW you can say "testicles" or actually "scrotum" since testicles are inside the scrotum :)

"Ball sack" and "penis" just don't seem to mesh stylisically. LOL
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2010