have you ever heard of boys not being able to be circumsized if they do not get the Vit k shot?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope never heard of this
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• No I hadn't heard of this. Did the hospital tell you why?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I haven't heard of this and I had two boys. The only thing I could even think of (not even sure if it is correct) might be for clotting reasons. My DH has a blood clotting disorder and needs to watch that he does not eat too much vit K as it will thicken his blood. Maybe that pediatrician has a habit of wanting to make sure the blood is thicker or something. I don't remember either of my boys getting a vit k shot, though.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Anytime a baby gets a circumcision he is at risk for several problems, one is excessive bleeding/hemorrhage. Babies don't normally have adequate clotting factors on their own until after they are one week old. I've worked as a nurse for many years and I've never known a doctor to do a circumcision without the baby receiving Vit. K. (either a shot or sometimes the oral dose). If you insist on getting your son circumcised during his first week of life, please make sure you use a doctor that insists on Vit. K. You'd feel horrible if your son bled to death, although some babies still hemorrhage even w/ Vit. K. it's safer to make sure he has it in his system if you want to circ.
    Good luck!
    ShaneRyansMama

Answer by ShaneRyansMama at 7:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The above poster is right.....the vitamin K is for clotting and circ's bleed....sometimes a lot.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 10:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It makes sense. Little boys don't need to be mutilated anyway.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It does make sense as Vit K promotes the initiation of the healthy human clotting process.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I know that it is recommended, and it would make sense to either not circumcise, or wait to circumcise if you opt out of the vit k shot. I have heard that the body will start to make it's own vit k around a week or so of age, and I believe it's part of the reason Jewish people's tradition is to circumcise on the 8th day of life.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It doesn't surprise me. Circumcision is dangerous enough with the vitamin K and doctors like to cover their asses that way. If the baby dies or requires a blood transfusion after they chop off the foreskin then they don't want a lawyer coming back and saying that they didn't do all they could. In any case, no infant needs to have a piece of their penis removed and it should remain intact whether they get a shot or not.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• breast milk has the natural form to help blood clot...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010