How can I get my five yr old to clean up?

N3042

Asked by N3042 at 5:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ask him to be a helper. and understand he is 5. he isnt going to do the best job cleaning up aftter himself. but he can be mommys helper and help you. kids love that,do it WITH him and praise him for helping you
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• By supervising every minute of the cleanup. Reward with stars (or smiley faces), punish with time outs or giving away unpicked up toys to neighborhood kids or by making the child earn them back.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Turn it into a game that you play together. If you make cleaning up fun, he will be more inclined to do it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:27 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I set my timer on my stove so that she can clean up and beat the clock. It works really well for my 7 year old and sometimes my 5 year old. She hates cleaning up.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 8:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have bins for my sons toys. Only one bin opened at a time it is less mess and easier for him to clean up and he also knows where the toys goes. I wii help him or show him how at first but after that he is on his own. I have been known to sing the clean up song from Barney.
    You can make a game out of it. Kids like that. also have a "chore" chart and give them stickers for certain 'jobs" and when they get so many stickers they get a treat 10 stickers may = a toy at the dollar store 20= and ice cream 30 = an extra book at bed time 40= 20 extra minutes at the park 50 = 10 more minutes staying up past bed time etc etc whatever works for you and your family
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I tell my 3 year old that he better clean his toys (cars,books, stuffed animals) off the floor because I have to vacuum & I don't want to suck them up in the vacuum. I walk out of the room & give him a little time. He goes to town like crazy! He cleans up everything like a rocket! And puts everything in its place too ( we have everything organized & seperated according to what it is).
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• make a chore chart for him with rewards stickers and let him earn a surprise.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I set a timer for my son, one of the cheap ones that he can hear ticking. He is way more motivated when he hears the ticking than he is when I just ask him to do it. I'll set the timer for 20 minutes and he'll be done in 10, but if I don't set it, he won't have touched a thing.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Make a daily chore chart and let him put his own sticker on it after he or she has completed the chore. After a week give him or her a dollar. Kids love that.
    play4LA

Answer by play4LA at 5:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010