My son goes into pre-k next month and I'm not sure what he needs to know before he goes in. He knows the alphabet, colors, numbers (up to 20) and even knows his numbers in spanish (up to 10). Are we behind or are we ok? Thanks ladies!

calyn11742

Asked by calyn11742 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That would be a question to ask the school. all schools are different and have different requirements.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• nope not behind at all you are most likely ahead of the game. Pre-k is about learning but mostly teaching the kids how to behave in school and to prepare them for the "routine" of school.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• work with him on what sounds each letter make. they will teach him to write his name..so you can start helping with that.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like he's are in great shape!! A lot of what needs to be accomplished in pre-k is the social interaction also. Relax and enjoy!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thank you all for your answers! I was afraid we were VERY behind. I have to go into the school this week so I'll ask what he needs to know when I drop by. I've been trying to teach him how to write his name. He copies the letters but he likes to write them all over the page instead of one after the other. I'm glad to know a lot of pre-k is social development. We're all excited for him to begin this part of his life! :)
    calyn11742

Comment by calyn11742 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my daughter three, is going into 3 yr old pre school
    she speaks at one yr 9 months
    so your child sounds ready for high school in comparasion to mine
    sounds ready to me
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My child was in pre k last year she knew alot before she started too maybe work on him on writing his name my child could write her first and last when she started and then i taught her to write her middle name like 2 weeks into school, also shapes
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You and your son are off to a good start. Keep working with him. Also reading to him will be good. Children learn that way also. You will be surprised by what he will learn and the thing s he will talk to you about from the books that you have read to him.
    Goos Luck
    NubianQueen03

Answer by NubianQueen03 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thank you!! I forgot about his shapes. He knows those too. I will start working with him on his name. His last name will possibly be changing soon so I've tried holding off on teaching him to write that part of his name until everything is final. But I'll definitely work with him on his name until he goes in.
    calyn11742

Comment by calyn11742 (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We love to read. We read all the time. I guess I feel really behind because I knew how to read by myself by age 4. We just haven't gotten around to that yet. :(
    calyn11742

Comment by calyn11742 (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2010