for cloth diapering mamas!

can you take your cloth diapers to the hospital when your baby is born? or do you just wait until you get home to start cloth diapering?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you can bring cloth diapers to the hospital. You put the dirty diapers in a wet bag :) Newborns really don't go much in the first couple days so it's not like you would be hauling home a full load of messy dipes. You can check out hyenacart.com for newborn size diapers (i like fitteds for newbies) and also wetbags.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well, I didn't use cloth diapers with #1, cuz she was going to be in daycare, but now that I"m officially a SAHM with #2 I will be. And I will be prolly be taking regular diapers to the hospital. My DH brought up a really good point when I told him I wanted to cloth diaper the next one... where do you put the soiled diapers? So, we decided that the cloth diapers will stay home (cuz that's where the kids are mostly anyway) and we'd use regular diapers when we're out and about.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 9:21 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The hospital will supply newborn diapers. Sometimes they weigh them to check output so it'll make things easier on them too. Not even sure that they'd allow cloth ones in the hospital to be honest, they'd probably be considered a biohazard or something. I'd suggest getting a pack to use at home for the first few days too. Those newborn poops are hard enough to get off of skin, they'd be a royal pain to wash. Also you're going to be recovering and probably won't feel like doing much laundry for those first few days.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I homebirthed, but there are plenty of women who bring cloth diapers to the hosptial. They shoudn't need to weigh the diapers, but if they need to they can certainly weigh a cloth one just as easily as a disposable. The meconium wasn't that bad, though we practiced EC so we didn't have anything to clean off the butt and only missed once (a tip for you put on some coconut or olive oil on the but -- before and for cleaning -- and meconium comes right off). Cold water wash did fine and they weren't stained (we use prefolds). If you have help (and you likely are) its not that hard for a friend or relative to toss in a laundry load. I took full advantage of my husband for that :)

if anything is a biohazard its the disposable!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• amilee
    what is EC?
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I always waited until we got home, and even used disposables that first week or so. Bringing home a newborn, breastfeeding etc. is enough to handle. I used up the pack of diapers we brought home from the hospital, then moved into the cloth.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We waited until we got home.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010